Thursday, December 06, 2007

Thank You For The Memories Part 2



[Photo: Andy, Gary, Me and Marcus]

Army Mates

I remember how worried my mother was when I was first drafted into the Singaporean Army. It was a compulsory two and a half years national service and I recall how my mother lamented about my inactivity during secondary school, especially in the department of enrolling in a uniform group (like Army Land, Air, Sea or even Police), that would give me some heads up on surviving the army.

She didn't realise that her slightly pudgy son in secondary school was not an unwilling partner, but a casualty in the selection process for these groups, due to my low physical fitness. I will never forget my Basic Military Training, especially my first two weeks where I realised how much I had taken everything for granted, in particular my parents' love. At 19, I never imagined that one could miss their parents, but the army changed that opinion for me.

Thanks to my relatively good genes, I didn't have one of those "欠打" faces (those that provoke an inertia in someone to hit them), and since I was rather obedient too, surprised everyone in my family and mostly myself, by being awarded "Best in Platoon". I eventually went onto win "Best in Company" when I moved onto the next stage of Army training, and was later transferred to take on the Sergeant course, where I would begin my friendship with Andy, Marcus and Gary.

My dad who was one of the best fathers, would never fail to drive me to the Army camp, and as a result, used to ferry Gary and another friend along. Marcus and Andy are one and two years our junior respectively, and I don't remember any particular incident that helped to cement our friendship, but I believe we just became closer as time went by. The one significant event was us getting together to be Andy's best men when he first married, and the love and support that we provided each other.

The other reason I could attribute my friendship with Marcus and Andy because they were more "洋派" (interested or more influenced by Western cultures), and we got on well together. It was definitely after our army stint that we became closer friends, as I sent all of them on their voyages to Australia and Scotland, where they would study their degrees and come home. I was the last one to leave and the odd one out, opting to stay in Australia eventually.

This year marks the first time in three years that we have managed to gather together because Marcus was away for the past three years, in Sweden and Shanghai. I thought we had lost contact with him forever until I chanced upon his number on my mobile. I tried calling but it rung out, so I decided to send an sms to be safe. He called back within a minute and the meeting was like coming home to a band of brothers. That's what we are, brothers in arms. We have been through the good and the bad times, and we will always care for each other, like brothers do. I certainly hope they feel the same way too. Ha! Ha!

Andy has picked up photography and won an award last year for one of his black and white shots. He invited me out one afternoon for some lifestyle shots or shots that he believes speaks the person's character. Unfortunately, I was feeling the strains of my hectic schedule and hence I didn't think I made a very good model because I was really tired, and I think you could see it in my eyes. On the other hand, I think he would make a better photographic object himself, don't you think. Nonetheless, I am sharing two shots that I liked from this photo shoot.





No comments: