Sunday, December 09, 2007

Sayang My Baby






With these words, my mother bade me farewell. Not a fan of goodbyes, I was holding up well up to that point. My sister, usually the first to break down seemed calm and composed. So did my nephew and niece who gave me a hug and kiss. My dad made an exclamation at "How strong my son has become" and I turned to greet my Mum at the end. I pull myself into her soft body as she pressed her lips against my face and she murmured those words, which translates into "I love you my baby", with a tinge of sadness.

It has been such a fruitful and fulfilling trip. 2007 had flown by faster than any other year I remember but these two and a half weeks have been savoured to the last drop. Eating, greeting, sharing, that was my life for my past holiday. In some ways, I believe I might have spread myself a little too thin, but I really enjoyed spending all that time with my family and friends.

Some people wonder why I return to visit my family every year? Why not spend a real holiday at some tourist destination? Why dedicate so much time to take on a holiday to spend time with the family, which really doesn't translate into too much of a holiday.

For those who live near their parents and family, it may sometimes be difficult to understand how one can actually miss their own family. It is only when we are separated by distance that one can realise how important family is. I may be lucky to have a wonderful and loving family, but like many others, I didn't really learn to appreciate them until I hit my 20s, and eventually moved out from home.

The other overriding reason can be attributed to my "guilt". In traditional Chinese cultures, my decision to leave my family behind to pursue a life away, can be perceived as selfish and one of an unfilial son. Over my final dinner party with my relatives, my youngest male cousin questioned my decision to stay in Australia. I totally understood where he came from, that of love and filial piety, and I reassured him that there are rarely days that go by that I do not question my love for my family, and more so for my aging parents.

I explained to him that I heard all that he said, and I took all his points to heart, especially the bit where he said that my Mum would be very upset if I don't come back, but I told him that there are different ways to show love, appreciation and filial piety. I used to live under the same roof, and couldn't be more like strangers with my family. I detested their possessiveness and their need to know my whereabouts all the time. If I am not home by 3 am, I would receive a phone call asking where I am. This may sound all warm and fuzzy, but it isn't when you are in your late 20s.

Leaving Singapore allowed my parents to accept that I have grown up and that I am an adult. It is not easy surviving in a new country but I proved myself and everyone that I could do it. To make sure that my family understands how much I love them more for giving me this wonderful gift of unconditional love, I do everything I can to soothe my guilt of filial piety. I call my parents at least thrice a week, making sure that they are healthy and fine. I bump that up to a call everyday if anyone is unwell to let them know that I care and that I am there. I do my best to spend as much time with them as I can when I am back in Singapore. Even when I am fatigued, I will do my best to accompany them in whatever they want to do.

I don't answer back when I sometimes want to, I accept. I know that it is a "routine" that they don't get to play very often because I am not home, so I listen. I give them encouragement and feedback and we would have conversations that we would never be able to have, if I am always at home. In appreciation for their love, I turn into the perfect son, and I love it. I love their dedication and their devotion. I love the times we spend together and the most mundane things we do. I appreciate and cherish every single moment we spend together because I know that time is limited. It is because of this limitation that I believe we make better use of the moments we have.

I am not saying that I am perfect and a self sacrificing human being. I just wanted to say that I don't love my parents less because I do not live with them. In many ways, I believe I love and cherish them even more. I may be selfish because I choose to live in Australia, but I am still after all, a human being.

I am eternally thankful to my family for loving me so much that they allow me to stay in Australia even though they miss me dearly, because they know I am happy here. That is what my sister wrote in an sms to me. Will we have such a wonderful loving relationship if I was at home? Will I be the perfect son if I was home or would I be looking for ways to live the life I want? These are hypotheses that I cannot confirm. All I know is that a true home lies in the heart, mine and the hearts of loved ones. In my heart, I will always be home, at home with my loved ones.


母亲这一句别辞“我亲爱的宝宝”把我愣住了,
母亲爱的呼唤,我听见了。
泪光莹莹,家人挥别的影像逐渐模糊,
我赤裸的心往熟悉的情景徘回。
不孝之道又浮上心头,
我的选择真的那么自私吗?
选择自己生活方式就真的代表不孝吗?

爱能用不同样方式来表达,
我采用的不就代表不对,
可能只是较难接受。
我不是选择自己的快乐而忘了挚爱的父母,
因为我深觉现在更能珍惜在一起的时光。
爱,是用心与举动来表达,
家,就只有在有爱的心才能滋润。
我爱心的家,永远
生存在家人的心。

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's great you have such a wonderful and understanding family.. by the way, is that cute guy your bro-in-law or bro?

JameZ said...

Thanks. He's my brother.