Thursday, December 06, 2007

Thank You For The Memories Part 4

Marketing Studies

A year after I started working, I found that I could combine my love for writing with Marketing when I started studying my Graduate Diploma in Marketing from the Chartered Institute of Marketing at SIC. For the first time, I no longer found myself struggling with concepts and instead of blindly memorising data that I had absolutely no interest in, I could easily apply them to my world. Combined with a new found maturity and attitude towards studying, I managed to do surprisingly well in my studies, in spite of the fact that I was studying part time four nights a week from 7 pm - 10 pm. It was easily one of the most strenuous periods of my life, minus the Army experience because that was almost entirely autocratic, because it takes a lot of discipline to do that for two years. This is combined with examinations every three months and Marketing projects, presentations and case studies every other week.


We discussed about those times recently when I met up with Ivy, Juliana and Darren, and just as we were wondering how we survived the rigour, I realised that it was due to the strong bond that we had developed, that it no longer felt like hard work. I remembered actually looking forward to meeting with my dear friends, who were at that time, closer to me than my family in many ways. We would sometimes chat in class behind the lecturer's back and look forward to every break where we would have a chance to really catch up with others that we didn't sit next to earlier.

On Friday nights, we would even proceed to the nearest MacDonalds and chat till way after they close, and then squeeze into our friend Ben's mini, and zoom off to the airport or any lounge that was open for 24 hours. We would chat all the way till daylight when the first bus operates, and then head back home. Those were really good times that I missed.

Now, even though some of us are parents already, it still felt like those good o'l days as we reminisce about those times we shared, and some significant events that an unfortunate friend will never be able to live down. It is good to know that friendships like this can withstand the test of time. Thanks guys!


No comments: