Friday, November 25, 2005

Morality

The controversy is growing ... the deadline is near. Will there be enough time to save him?

This question has been hanging off people's tongue when they see me, and as a Singaporean, they are all rather interested in what I think about Nguyen's execution and the extensive media coverage this issue is currently attracting.

From what I learnt previously from my brother a month ago, this piece of news rarely created a blip in the local papers, and some people might be surprised that not many Singaporeans have raised any "hoopla" around the issue of "capital punishment". Now, that it is discussed in major newspapers, even some Singaporeans are finding it hard to ignore, with a discussion even popping up in an interview my brother recently had ...

As a Singaporean 8 years ago (I have to include that because I have changed too much since), I did not have enough information to form an attitude towards capital punishment. Though the movie "Dead Man Walking" which discussed the morality of capital punishment is one of my favourite movies of all time, I was absorbed by the human tale more than the issue it provoked, so I was just as blasé over the issue as my other compatriots. To many Singaporeans (or at least to me then), it is like getting a major punishment for something you have been warned. Just like when we break laws and are repeatedly warned not to, we should be punished for our "sins". As long as we are not involved, we don't really care. I had not gone beyond the thought that it is not moral and we have no right to take someone else's life (even if we are not religious), regardless of what they have done, so I never really had too much of an issue with it.

I don't empathise with the decision that they have made, but I understand why they are sticking to it. Firstly, if they change their minds (which I will be very happy if they do), they will show vulnerability for once, in the rigid law system that they have constructed and withheld for so long, and it is the lynchpin for the continued stability of the small state. Secondly, I don't think anyone would like someone else teaching them how to rule their own country, so on these grounds, I am sad to say that they are unlikely to budge.

When this case came to light, it wasn't so much the "heroics" of the victim (in trying to pay for his brother's debts) but another story that provided a human face and a sorry tale, that made me form an opinion about capital punishment once and for all. A news report that I read about a month ago focused on another man, a Singaporean with 2 young children who was hanged not long ago. He had begged his family to do something about Nguyen, because he described him as a kind soul that shouldn't be there. I don't remember the entire story but it could be his family that inspired Nguyen's family to do more for their son. Singapore's argument is to show no mercy and if they have condemned one of their own, why should they spare Nguyen just because he committed the same crime but was the citizen from another country?

In being fair, they have placed everything in black and white, ignoring the human aspects to every life, and most importantly the people affected by it. What drew tears for me is the story the sister of the executed Singaporean told in the paper. She said that throughout the 2 years or so that her brother was locked up in solitary confinement and maximum security, they were not allowed to touch her brother in any way. Not even in the final 2 weeks of his life when they were allowed to see him everyday. She said they were all so sad, especially her elderly mother, who only wanted to touch and smell her son for the very last time, and even that was denied ...

I understand their rationale for doing this, but have we watched too many movies to think that everyone has some crafty undercover agent ready to plot some rescue mission that we can't even allow some humanity in such cruelty? That was the turning point for me. I cannot comprehend not allowing the smallest bits of kindness. If they can allow them to order their last favourite meal (within prison budgets), can't they allow something that is priceless (or costless) such as a hug or a kiss from a loved one?

On another sad note, is our society changing so much that we are increasingly living in isolation (because of technological advances) and forgetting about the joys of connecting in real human touch? There are so many recent stories that are surfacing about decaying bodies being found by people after their neighbours have died for weeks, and today, we receive some depressing news that an acquaintance had committed suicide 4 weeks ago, only to be discovered this morning?

It is depressing that we are all falling out of touch. We all need someone to care for us and someone to care about. That's what makes life worth living for. You never know when a phone call, a smile or even the slightest, most insignificant gesture can make a difference to someone who's seeking death. Just like the poem I shared not long ago, contact someone you have not for some time. Keep in touch and stay in love ...

2 comments:

Jack said...

I wish there were harsher punishment or laws in Canada against people who break the laws. Many years ago, a smilar incident about an American kid getting caned in Singapore due to vandalism, he deserved it. My car was stolen at the time when I was in Toronto, I went through hell as it was my first car after having saved for a long time and I needed that for work, it was quite devastating for me as I had to deal with the insurance company etc and I was not in a position at the time to have any financial set back.. yes to capital punishment!

JameZ said...

Hi Jack,

Yes I do remember that incident and like you, I believed that they deserved the punishment of caning. I believe they were meant to get 12 strokes of the cane each but Bill Clinton managed to reduce that to 6 (instead of the abolishment)

However, caning is different from a death sentence. A death sentence is final and does not give someone a 2nd chance. I don't want to go into an argument over whether it is possible for repetence for some of the worst murderers and offenders, but my argument here was more towards the human aspect ... and that of barbarism.

To not allow the mother of someone that you have sentenced to death to touch her son for a last time to me is just plain cruel. There are times when we cannot touch our loved ones in their last moments because of circumstances like physical presence and accidents. There are even times when people don't even hug each other or show signs of affetion till the last moment, but these are generally unavoidable.

Not to grant two sane people, let alone family to have a last hug is plain incomprehensible. Don't ya think?