Friday, September 02, 2005

TSWC

I think TSWC deserves a posting of itself. It's John's nice way of saying "I'm not interested" in what you have to say, and it actually stands for "Tell Someone Who Cares".

When I first heard it, I was honestly a little surprised, shocked and hurt because of the honesty in the comment. Nowadays though I laugh it off most of the times, it could still hurt at some point. I think it is about respect for the other person. If we can sit and hear politey (note: not listen) to someone else rambling about something we are not interested in, are we not supposed to offer the same courtesy or even more to a partner.

Maybe, just because we are a couple allows us this honesty not to accept "crap" from each other. I'm sensitive but not that sensitive, so please don't go changing for me. I believe I will also be honest and strong enough to let you know when it hurts.

I understand that it is only politically correct to pretend that we are interested in someone's conversation when we are not, but how do we deal with this issue? Do we just shutdown and smile or is it better just to use terms like "TSWC" to let the person know we are just not interested.

For me, maybe just because John is my partner, it allows me the space to offload stuff that I wouldn't do to other people because I know when he shuts off and he can say "TSWC". I also know not to recommit the same mistake again and choose my audience carefully, so that they can share the same joy.

For others, I look out for signs and switch topics when I realise the slighest signs of disinterest, but I know not everyone is as highly tuned. Is there a PC way of saying something to change the conversation or do we just bring up another subject at the slightest chance possible? So, will "TSWC" catch on or is it more suitable as a catchphrase between very close friends and family?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

TSWC!!!

Dear James,

You take it far too literally and personally.

I could never not care about you. Of course, its Maria that I don't care for.

So please don't stop going there. But it's unlikely to change my mind on Maria.

My freedom with this expression is that I spend so much of my life caring that it is a humorous and flippant relief from my need and desire to care.

Love

John x

Jack said...

you two are so lucky to have each other...

JameZ said...

I know. Thank you John.

Love

James
x

JameZ said...

Hi Jack,

Yes, we are, and we always take time to acknowledge that and appreciate what we have.

Thank you and I am sure your time will come too.

James