Saturday, September 17, 2005

Too Many Thank Yous?

Can there be too many "Thank You"s? I know that I like to thank my friends for their friendship, love and support whenever I write on their birthday cards or just for accepting me for who I am, but is there a case where there are too many?

I don't want to make it sound insincere but the Thanks come from the bottom of my heart. The "argument" was made from the case that we have been friends for so long and thus we can dispense with such courtesies, but personally, I don't want it to get to a point that the generosity becomes something that is taken for granted. Even though John and I have been together for more than 3 years, we still thank each other for the little favours we do for each other. I think it is very important to show appreciation and not to take things for granted, which is why I sprinkle it in my conversations and my writings, but also that I hope that the person realise how much I treasure this little gesture.

This gesture even exists in my family and we always teach little children to say "Thank you" for every little present or favour they receive, so why should we forgo this because we are now adults? I know that a conversation can sound too distancing if we use too many Thank you(s) but I believe I wanted the other person to know that this is a great gift that they are giving me, and should be acknowledged. There are too many things, like friendship in this world which is underappreciated, which is why I take a bold cause to support showing it once in a while.

It might be walking a fine line but when we have been in a long relationship (friendship) with someone, does "Thank you" sound too condescending or is it still essential?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.