Thursday, July 28, 2005

Honesty versus Kindness



What do we want in our life ... honesty or kindness. Sometimes, we are so conditioned, that our responses are automated. Before I came over to Australia, I lived in a collectivist society where kindness preceded honesty in response. It's not that we only wanted to hear sugar coated white lies, but somehow, it was much easier to accept and made life much easier.

As we grow older and sometimes gain patience in the progress, we tend to want more honesty in our lives because we realise that it is the only way to move ahead in relationships with our lovers, friends and family. I find myself at this crossroad sometimes wondering which to apply. After being in a relationship with my wonderful John, he has taught me to want more honesty. He is an advocate for total honesty but I always had my doubts. Maybe it stemmed from my childhood experiences that honesty seem to bring more hurt while I searched for a little kindness ...

I remember the criticisms from my mother about my ability and looks which made me feel rather unattractive. In her intense love for us and desire to mould us into better human beings, she was sparring with her compliments and I felt a little unwanted at times when she was cross. To make things worse, I was teased at school. I was overweight and unattractive, and since I wasn't a sports nut, I wasn't cool and "one of the guys". Their honest remarks made me feel lonely. It wasn't a nice experience and so I swore then never to make disparaging remarks about others' appearance. Thankfully, I survived knowing that there are still other misfits that I can count on.

These experiences made me stronger and realised that people who criticise others are usually the ones that are the most insecure within. They do it so that others will stay off them. They are also the most unkind, not only to others, but also to themselves. I often taught, all everyone needs is a little kindness ...

Honesty is not all bad, because after I finished my personal development course with Landmark, I confronted my mother about the remarks that she made and she was unaware that she said those things. She asked for my forgiveness and we have since become closer because of my honesty. So, honesty does bring people closer. Which brings gays and lesbians like me, to the question of "to say or not to say" in the issue of coming out. Honesty brings closeness but at the wrong time, brings hurt and sorrow. Acceptance and love takes time to nurture once again. So, is kindness the answer?

I like to think that I am honest in most of my relationships, but I am careful to practise kindness as well. After all, didn't someone say "If you don't have something nice to say about someone, then don't say anything". Looking back at my previous encounters with friends who couldn't accept the fact that I was gay, they were angry that I was dishonest, which I wasn't. I didn't lie about being straight, I just didn't admit that I was gay. I was looking after them, giving them kindness, but they wanted honesty, and then when you give them what they want, they seem to be unable to accept that as well. So, where do we go from here?

I look at open relationships where partners can knowingly "allow" their partners to have casual and sometimes even regular partners on the side, and I wonder where this issue lies with them? Do they strive for total or partial honesty in such relationships? At what point do they apply a little kindness in their honesty and tell a white lie or choose not to disclose at all. I am not only talking about homosexual relationships and sexual encounters, but the darkest secrets that partners and friends keep from others. Is there any other way to move from without hurting the other person.

I have grown older to allow constructive criticism but I know there is also a limit to acceptance. I believe in giving praise whenever I can. To cynical others, it can sound patronising, but to me, it is honest because it is kindness that can come from the heart. We could all use a bit of kindness sometimes. I guess for me, it is an ongoing journey and it applies from person to person. Honesty brings us closer and forward but kindness make the trip slower but easier. A fine balance to achieve for indeed ...

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

:-) Beautiful! Being a virgo honesty comes to me naturally. Sometimes a bit much of it :) And there is not a lot I can do about it but at the same time I feel proud that i am one of those people that can call a spade a spade. It does come with a little price though but like you said honesty breed health it rejuvinates good feelings and warmth and most of all it keeps you honest to yourself. Richard Bach had said it beatifully....
"Your only obligation in any lifetime is to be true to yourself.
Being true to anyone else or anything else is not only impossible, but the mark of a false messiah."

As for kindness, thats another kettle of fish in my opinion. Kindness is clearly not white lies - Its about being accepting of others... lies are just lies white or black :) kindness definitely is a great virtue. Most people lie unconditionally immaterial how advanced the society they live in.

Hamu said...

Hallo James,
Back home safe and sound?
Uhm.... you know kids are probably the most honest being you can find on earth (other than hamster ^^). But what I can't understand is why adults who can handle the truth keep pushing for the truth? Like what you wrote, "they wanted honesty, and then when you give them what they want, they seem to be unable to accept that as well". Is this a phenomenon just on my sunny island or all over the world?

Anonymous said...

Dear James, Your honesty stands out in this entry about honesty! I don't necessarily advocate total honesty, I think there can be too much. I think relationships are made for people to discover where they end and the other starts.

For me honesty is a part of me and my integrity as a partner and friend. It is a road to truth and fits with my values of living a truthful and honest life. I want to be known to those that care about me and the best way for me to be true to myself is to be honest.

But and it is a big but! I am a caring and sensitive man and want to show kindness and care to my loved ones. So finding the balance is the key and not always an easy path.

I want you to be honest with your family about your sexuality so they can know just how much I love you. But because I love you I accept that you will come out to them if and when you are ready. I believe on some level that creates restrictions for our relationship but again I accept that.

When I was reading your blog entry I was reminded again of what an amazing human being you are! Your gentility, caring and good heart are beautiful to see, feel and experience. I am a lucky man.

I love you

John x

JameZ said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
JameZ said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
JameZ said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
JameZ said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Jack said...

It reminds me of my relationship with my parents when I was younger and when I came out to them..

JameZ said...

Was it tough? I'm currently facing this dilemma now ...

Jack said...

it never got resolved...

JameZ said...

I'm sorry to hear about it. I hope to hear more about it privately if you are willing to share one day.

JameZ said...

Hi Amit,

I agree that honesty is a virtue, and it is difficult to be totally honest, so I applaud your courage. Keep it up!

We gain some and we lose some, and as you put beautifully, being honest to ourselves is the most important in our lives. I will definitely hold this very close to my heart. Thank you.

It is always so nice to hear your comments on subjects like this, and I really appreciate you as a friend.

JameZ said...

Hi Hamu,

I wasn't expecting this, so it is a lovely surprise. Yes, I agree with you on kids being the most honest. But then, maybe it is because we know that they are being themselves and little kids, that we are able to accept them just as who they are, regardless of the response. I don't have enough experiences with hamus, but I believe you. ;-)

Have you watched the movie "Closer". It is a good example of too much honesty being disatrous sometimes, and it is not only on your sunny island, but a common thing where people want to ask questions they are not prepared to hear the answers to. Unfortunately, we just have to take them one step at a time, and learn from the lesson. Whether we move on from there, or take a few steps back, will depend on the commitment we have to maintain the relationship.

JameZ said...

Thank you, my dearest John.

Everyday with you is a wonderful journey of discovery, where I am amazed by my own ability to love and give when I don't think I have anymore reserves, but you inspire me to be the best I can be, for you.

Honesty is painful but is a path we have to take to be where we want to be, to be able to fully accept the other for who they are, and love them just like that.

It is a long journey but I know that I am not going to be lonely. Thank you for your love and companionship. With our love, we can hopefully inspire more friends and people around us to care a little more, love a little more and give a little more ...