Thursday, June 16, 2005

Coming Out



It is not an easy decision to come out. Even though I lead a sexually honest life in Australia, I still find it very difficult to come out to my family and friends in my motherland, Singapore.

Today, I received a email from a dear female friend, who expressed shock when she accidentally stumbled upon the truth from my blog that I am gay. My best friend came out to her and another friend earlier last year, and though he said they took it well, my conversations with them have left me feeling rather shaky. Instead of addressing his partner by the name, they seem to hide a chuckle and shake of the head at the same time while asking "Is he still with that guy?", as if expecting this to be a phase that he would step out of soon, or that he needed God's help to get through this.

I respect their Christian values and maybe it is the way they seem to perceive him now, which is why I had some reservations about coming out to them. I think the misconception that most people have is that being gay is a choice.

As far as I am concerned, the only choice I made is to be honest and live my life in Australia as a gay man. I did not choose to be gay, just like I did not choose to be born a man or Asian. If it was a choice, why would I choose to be part of a minority group that is constantly subjected to discrimination. Why wouldn't I choose what the common thing is, which is to be heterosexual and lead a "no frills" life. I love children so why should I be robbed of the same priviledge to have kids. Why can't I walk down the street with my lover tugged under my arms or openly kiss and not be afraid of the next weird glare or even an attack? Why should my love for my lover not be recognised like heterosexuals and if I die, my partner gets no recognition or any of my belongings if I do not set up a will? Why would I, in the right mind, chose to be gay?

I want to be honest to my friends but I am not lying as well. If you don't ask, I wouldn't need to tell, and then I will not be telling a lie. It is difficult for most of my Singaporean friends to accept me as a gay man because of the way I "talk about love" like no other man they know. They always say they imagine it to be some lucky woman, which I cringe when I hear it, but I am not responsible for your dreams. I am only responsible for my life.

I watched a Hong Kong - Singaporean movie "Rice Rhapsody - 海南雞飯 - " two days ago, about a Singaporean mother (played by one of my favourite actresses, Sylvia Chang), who has to deal with two gay sons, and the inevitable possibility of the youngest turning out that way too. It is quite a delightful movie and the scene where she goes to every fortune teller to find out if her youngest darling is gay too, and how to "remedy" that is hilarious, but very true, because that is what my friend was subject to when he came out.

There was one heart-renching scene when the eldest son attracts media publicity when he decides to get married to his gay lover, and Sylvia, who is lying in bed from a fall, pleads "Why do you have to let Mummy suffer so much". To me, that is heartbreaking and it sounded like it came from my own mother's mouth. If I do come out to my parents I don't want to be selfish and just expose my sexuality and let them deal with it all alone in Singapore. It would be too painful and heartless of me. I can only heal the wounds with my love and education. Until then, the perception will be linked to "What will people think and will he die of AIDS because he is gay?"

I still have a long way to go and I am always thankful for everyone who accept me for who I am, because this is the greatest gift anyone can give ... the freedom to be ... In the meantime, life will continue to be a rollercoaster ride and plenty of re-education every time I come out ... but with the courage that builds, I hope to lead an honest life on all aspects one day. I am only one, but if I can educate, then hopefully I am making a difference everyday.





12 comments:

Anonymous said...

I totally share your feeling. Hope the world and this society will be posiitoning us differently one day!

JameZ said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

Beautiful entry James. I loved reading it. Although I slightly disagree that one has to hold their life back just because they are gay or bi or straight. Life as I see it and i could be wrong is all about 'now', tomorrow is too far and yesterday is past. All we have is now. I am sure your parents would understand your pain just as much. We always tend to think 'they won't get it' - well sometimes they really don't BUT trust me its easier to be out and live a life un-hindered by thoughts than to keep people happy on both sides. I feel your pain but I can assure you once you come out you will sigh and be happy. And that will be one long beautiful sigh! Try it! :-) You have all my support you possible can get.

Coming out is about you! About your time and mental frame. Its about how you choose to see life and embrace it. Its not about anyone elses life, love or beliefs. People that love you - will always do. If they don't they were not meant to. Its their problem not yours James. its their baggage if they cant accept you are gay! And who ever said being gay is bad! Yes choices are less, restrictive, narrowed, slightly dicriminated. But do you really think its different elsewhere? Do you think it is different in a straight mans world? Maybe slightly less. Thats what we call life - the beautiful uncertaintly - not knowing what the next moment brings. Embrace it. :-) You will sail beautifully. I wish you the very very best.

JameZ said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

Dear James,

I'm really impressed by the time and effort you put to write and share this blog. Sharing is the bridge to love, so does coming out.

It's not as hard if you come out to friends who really care for you. I think the time one most wants to come out is when he/she feels very weak, because being gay in this straight dominated society requires lots of strength. Besides your partner, only friends and family are ones that provide support.

Just let things happen naturally...

Wish all the best to you.

JameZ said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

Hi James
While I can't possibly know what it is like being gay in a straight world, I can speak for myself. There are some straight people who accept and love others simply for who they are and not because they are gay, straight, or bi. It is about unconditional love and not friends or neighbors may think if one has a gay friend. If only they could see the bigger picture? Well, give them time to accept but if they don't then, even though it may hurt, you must admit that it is their loss. I agree with Amit. It is about your journey and no one elses. Don't give up.

JameZ said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
JameZ said...

Hello Akinafan,

Thank you for sharing my belief. If only one day ... if only one day ... I guess we all have to contribute in our ways to make sure that this one day does come true.

We are not talking about just sexual preferences, but all differences that are condemned in this world!

James

JameZ said...

Hi Amit,

Thank you for leaving your lovely comments and your support as well.

Yes, coming out is a big decision that I ultimately will have to make, and time is an important factor. I am maturing with every single day and every support I gather from friends who accept me for who I am ... Thank you ...

JameZ said...

Hi Ryan,

So nice to hear from you and thanks for your compliments and pearls of wisdom. I will be featuring some blogs/websites of friends and yours will be here very soon. Hope to hear from you more often.

Love to you and Les,

James

JameZ said...

Hi Nan,

Thank you for your comments and support. It is good to know that there are people like you around who will allow us to freedom to be, and from us to you, Thank you.