Tuesday, June 07, 2005

Bitter & Sweet - 甘いと悲しいメモリー -



I am nearing the end of a chapter in my life. One of my dearest friends, Joe, said on Saturday that you are never officially a couple till you live together. As John and I walk down this exhilarating path of coupledom, towards another phase of a rollercoaster in life, I reflect deeply on the past few years of my life, not only as a "single man" but more importantly, one that I have shared with my brother for almost 3 years.

Growing up, I don't think I ever did my best as a brother, or even a friend to my baby brother. Maybe I was selfish then, and hadn't learnt the joys of giving, and since I am 4 years older than he is, there was always an unspoken gap between us. Australia has been the launching pad for our friendship to bloom and in the past 5 years of being in Australia and 3 of living together in the same apartment, I wish that I have been a good brother and friend to him.

Even though being with John meant spending a lot less quality time with him, I hoped that he had not felt deserted by me because he is and always will be family. Moving is always about saying goodbye to some old memories and hello to new ones, and though I am celebrating a new union, I am a little saddened by his impending departure from Australia.


This has been a beautiful chapter which I will cherish all my life because of the special bond I shared with my brother. It is not the end but the beginning of a new chapter and I know that only through love, dedication and communication, will this bond strengthen over time. Thank you, my little brother, for allowing me to love you and share these wonderful times with you ...

上を向いて歩こう ...

I look up as I walk
So that the tears won't fall
Remembering those spring days
But I am all alone tonight

I look up as I walk
Counting the stars with tearful eyes
Remembering those summer days
But I am all alone tonight


Happiness lies beyond the clouds
Happiness lies up above the sky

I look up as I walk
So that the tears won't fall
Though the tears well up as I walk
For tonight I'm all alone tonight


(Translated from above song or better known as "Sukiyaki" by Sakamoto Kyuu 坂本 九)

No comments: