Thursday, June 16, 2005

A Costly Experience

As most of you know, I just moved in last week with my partner into our new and beautiful apartment. We are still putting the finishing touches our new home, which we love, but an unfortunate incident happened during the move to me.

My beloved new digital camera, which was a present from my parents only a few months back when I went back for a holiday, was stolen from my pouch. It was painful not only for its sentimental value but more so because I know that my parents didn't buy one for themselves because it was a luxury item due to its relatively high cost. They bought it out of their love for me.

The other interesting thing that came up for me was how quickly the "old demons" came to haunt me. When I was younger, I was infamous amongst my family members for losing new things and I was tagged for years. I would remember Mom would say "Bring the older umbrella because if you take the new one, you will lose that." and so, not surprisingly, the first voice that came to mind was Mom's tone saying "How could you be so stupid?".

As my mind was processing such unsavoury thoughts and beating myself about it, I was conscious of how much more self-loathing I was doing to myself and how I was blaming myself for this incident. I had to pull myself out and tell myself that accidents do happen and it was not like I left it out in the open for someone to nip. It was "safely" tucked away in my pouch in my closet which I had not expected anyone to touch.

I have learnt two lessons from this experience. One being to keep my precious belongings with me at all times, and the other that I can keep my "old nightmares" at bay and not let them affect the way I lead my life.

No comments: