Thursday, May 19, 2005

Review: The Gold Rush (1952)



Firstly, I would like to admit that I dislike slapstick. While my fellow mates were gushing about all the silly "Stephen Chow" (Hong Kong's equivalent of Adam Sandler) comedies, I was cringing at their every joke. After all, what's there to like about this silly, nonsensical sense of humour?

I love comedies sprayed with clever banter, with some of my favourites like "Adam's Rib"(1949), "Some Like It Hot" (1959), etc, and I have occasionally admire slightly slapstick ones (or screwball comedies), like "Bringing Up Baby" (1938) and "The Party" (1968). So armed with my previous prejudices, I had some reservations about how I would interpret this 1952 Charlie Chaplin classic, "Gold Rush". Especially, since he described it as his favourite, and "The one movie that he would most like to be remembered by".

I remember watching Charlie Chaplin movies when I was a little boy and finding them hilarious, but then I was young then, and maybe most things tickled me. Now, I find myself appreciating the fine art that Chaplin has brought to this world. This DVD has two versions, the original and the other with Chaplin's rendition and music added and I watched the latter, which I enjoyed tremendously.

One does not need to be an expert to see Chaplin's wonderful comic timing and his ability to make a fool out of himself but still keep the story relevant. This movie set after the World War, spoke of the trademark Little Tramp character on a gold hunt, and while in the harshest of conditions, still finds humour within, and a reason to live. It is humour and love that keeps the Little Tramp alive.

There are some classic scenes which have been relived on TV many times including the one that he cooked his boots due to the lack of food, and kept a straight face while attempting the almost impossible feat of making the boot palatable. It is a hilarious trip and it would be a regret to miss this just because it is a Black and White movie and it is mostly silent. Through Chaplin's expressive eyes, we experience every emotion and he is such a great actor because he makes it look so simple.

It is not difficult to see why Charles Chaplin was such a popular phenomenon. He brought fantasy onto people's life, and for a moment allowed people to forget their troubles for a moment and find joy in his movies. Through this, he has inspired me to always look on the bright side of things. Like one of his signature songs that he wrote (which not many people know), his aim is for everyone to smile ...

Rating: 8/10
Other Reviews: Amazon; Rotten Tomatoes


No comments: