Monday, May 30, 2005

Le Petite Crème



Location: 118 Darlinghurst Road, Darlinghurst

I was first introduced to Le Petit Crème more than 4 years ago by a French mate at university. Situtated at one of the hippest areas in Sydney, flanked by the infamous Kings Cross and Oxford St, Le Petit Creme is an authentic and unassuming little place serving delicious French breakfast and lunch. Over the years, like my French friends who have called it one of their favourites, I thought I might introduce this "in" place for all to enjoy.



When I first visited the cafe, I used to arrive around 11-12 pm, which made it very sensible to order the delicious chicken baguette (chicken breast and lots of tomatoes and lettuce) or the french steak sandwich (stewed beef slices with caramalised onions) served with frites, which is a "must have" on their menu. Frites are basically deep fried thinly sliced potatoes, resembling the potato chips you open from a bag, just fresher and much more delicious.

Recently, I have found myself going during the earlier hours of the weekend, and found it difficult to order anything other than their "weekend special", Eggs Benedict. I have to admit that I am not a big fan of thick sauces but this is absolutely divine. The way they make their poached eggs, which ooze at the slightest prick, a choice of ham or salmon and the sweet bread underneath ...



Lastly, Le Petit Crème gives you an option to have a bowl of coffee but they do not serve skim, which recalled an embarassing encounter the first time when I was denied. No skim or soya. Just the real thing ...


No comments: