Monday, May 02, 2005

April Sadness

Received some sad news yesterday morning on the 1st of May that the mother of a dear friend of ours (John and I) left this world yesterday afternoon (30th April).

It brought back many sad memories and I felt tears streaming down as I tried to convey my condolences. She was a very loving woman who my friend, Anne, has spoken so gracefully of, and we were lucky to have met up with her at the end of last year. Though she was in her late 80s or just turned 90, she was very open and loving even though she was a Catholic and knew us as a gay couple. It was so refreshing to know and be accepted just for who we are.

At this very moment, I am reading her memoirs, which chronicled her life all through World War 1 and 2. It is a very interesting read that allowed me to know her better as a person. She wrote it after one of her grandchildren wanted to know what her childhood was like, and she thought it was a great idea to write her memoris so that they (grandchildren and great grandchildren) will know what she was like.

I think this is a great idea because there are many times when I wanted to know about my mother's childhood and even my grandmother's, but most of that is all lost now because my grandmother is no longer around, except little fragments that my Mum would sprinkle once in a while. Delicious little stories that would brighten up my day. I aspire to write about my life one day as well, not so much so that I can publish it, but more so that people will know the life I led and the people who influenced it.


Mrs Mary Frances Egan's legacy lives on because she lives on in the lives of the people she has touched and inspired ... May she rest in heavenly peace ...

No comments: