Tuesday, March 22, 2005

Akina Nakamori

"Let's take a life time to say, I knew you well, for only time will tell us so, for love may grow, for all we know ..." - The Oscar winning 1971 hit theme song to the movie "Lovers and Other Strangers" sung by the Carpenters, one of my favourite singers of all time.

I believe that love happens not only between lovers but also between family (that we know of) and also friends. From strangers to friends, sometimes, we are there only for a reason, a season or a lifetime. Only time will be able to tell.

I met Tien and Eugin a few months back on the Internet, after plucking the courage to say Hi on the Internet. It's strange how our idols became the launching point of our friendship and though it was a little weird at first, which is not uncommon with meeting people for the first time, we hit it off really quickly, chatting away and offering tidbits of news that we have collected over the many years of idolship.

It is different when you speak to a fellow fan because we hang on to every bit of news information that we never had and somehow in my mind database, I am able to store all these information that I would not have made available for mind perceived less interesting things. We had a jolly good time chatting away and it was so incredibly generous of Eugin to pass me many DVDs of past Akina performances from 1982 till today. Even though I haven't had the chance to watch them yet, because the DVD player has broken down, I am eternally grateful to him for sharing this very special gift.

I also rated a comment on their blogs, and they both mentioned that I am knowledgeable about JPop history and especially with statistics. My friends (both Japanese and Singaporeans) find me "weird" because I know statistic information like the chronological sequence of singles by most Japanese artists (mostly 80s) and also the single chart sales, but somehow it is being appreciated by people who are interested in such information. "Hero vs Idiot". Ha! Ha!

We are also planning to have a Karaoke session where we will only sing Akina songs, as a tribute to the joys that she has given us all these years. For this special gift of friendship (and more to come), I thank you, Akina Nakamori.

No comments: