Saturday, August 19, 2006

The Wedding Banquet

My baby wants recognition from my family as my lover. My baby says he doesn't want to bear the effects of my not coming out anymore ...

The discussions about my status as a gay son in my family has recently been escalating. Initially, I embark on my usual voyage of denials and affirmations that my parents are not "matured enough" to take the news if I break it to them, and with the encouragement of some friends to do it at my own time, I usually get away with diverting the conversation for some other time.

Yesterday, this topic of intense interest has been sparked by a lecture we attended on gay, lesbians, human rights and marriage issues given eloquently by the Honorable Justice Michael Kirby. During the lecture, he not only discussed the need for us to address the homosexual issues relating to human rights, but also any other minority group facing the same discrimination all around the world. It's not just an issue that affects us, and even though we may not live to see the day where we will universally be loved, we have to work hard together to pave the way for this to happen.

One of the topics that he also discussed was the coming out to the family and how we need to do that so that people around us, our friends, colleagues and families will not longer have the opportunity to declare that they do not know anyone who is gay. We need to be brave and stand out, so that they will understand that fundamentally, we are no different from them, and are not evil spirits within.

I got the message and when the topic was brought up during our dinner again, John brought up the first valid point that really struck home. He has previously likened his experience with me as an invisible lover ... just a flatmate that James spends an incredible amount of time with, but his parents still look forward to the day James will find the right person. He wants to be recognised, even if they are going to shun him (which will be my anticipated reaction), like the way his Mum accepts me as her son's lover. Yesterday, he likened it to being in a relationship with someone for 4 years and he is ashamed to bring me home as his lover.

I'll give him this as his most valid point. If we were in a heterosexual relationship, my parents would probably be planning a weddding banquet now ... the one that I am going to break their hearts and their dreams that they are never going to have one.

My parents love me dearly. Ever since we were young, we have been doted with lots of physical affection. Hugs, kisses, I love yous, and Dad asking us if we love him back. I thought it was normal or rather common until I realised that my friend's parents hardly touched them. Slowly, it started getting embarassing as we grew older and we confined it within the four walls of our home. I will also always remember promising Dad and Mum that I will look after them when I grow older, which is probably why this integrity makes coming out so difficult.

There must be something in not being honest about my sexuality that feeds this denial. Not wanting to hurt them, shatter their dreams, feeling the anxiety, losing face .... So many points for my home run ... Does my current stance of "cultural differences" still stand as a valid point?

Everytime I go back to Singapore nowadays, I try to be the perfect son. I feel like I am a bad son in my parents' eye because selfishly, I have chosen to live my dream staying abroad, instead of doing my part as a dutiful son. Yes, I have traditional values that I still keep, but that is what defines me. My fundamentality as a Chinese that I am proud of. It doesn't mean that I have to give this up just because I choose to live in foreign soil. I have adopted some Aussie trademarks, but I am still me deep within.

Even though my parents appear strong and wish me well, I know that deep down they are hurting because I am not there. I called my aunt recently and her first response was "Have you come back to Singapore for good?". When I last saw my cousins, one of the elder ones said "Why do you choose to stay away when your parents love you so much. Can't you see that you are hurting them?"

These are guilts that I have to live with. I call them three times a week, I write them "love letters" when I go, and I never forget to let them know how I feel. Still, deep down, I feel like the bad son. My Mum's "We are not going to be around all the time" may sound like emotional blackmail to some, but when your mother says this to you with an aching heart, how can you steel yours?

John says I have to grow up and accept that they are not always going to be happy with my choices and that I don't have to live my life according to them. This is true but I am learning to make my own decisions still. It is my journey to walk and even though I have the love and support of my friends and family, it is my consequence to bear, and that is my crossroad.

We both have our own cases with valid points and I have seen many other couples who have dealt with it before me. Some have lasted much longer than we have, but their partners are still in the closet. Is it that their partners are so generous and understanding that coming out doesn't matter to them, or have they just given up? Is there a balance we can strike?

I know what my coming out can bring. Lots of good and plenty of bad as well. John has confidence that my parents' love for me will eventually shine through, though I wonder if I am ready for this ride yet. Ang Lee's movie "The Wedding Banquet" still rings as the most realistic portrait of interracial relationships (not only for Asians but other cultural groups binded strongly by beliefs).

One of the main reasons why I haven't come out or I freeze at the thought of it is my parent's impression of homosexuality cultivated by the gatekeepers of society. I believe my Mum has stronger intuition than my Dad who is seemingly oblivious. She sees and she probes. I wonder if that is a sign that she knows or she is just getting ready for the revelation one day? With Asians, saving face is the most important thing in their world, so like the parents in "The Wedding Banquet", it will probably remain an open secret within the small confines of my family, if I do come out. Without the society's support, it will remain tough to declare our love but like what Justice Michael Kirby says, we will be the ones that will have to make that bold change.

I think I know that it is a day that is coming soon, and maybe I am working harder towards building the courage for that to happen. Maybe it's the part of me that wants to please, so that I am still lovable that leaves me in a further dilemma. I guess deep down in me, I can still make that wedding banquet dream happen, but with my love instead of what they had envisioned. Isn't my happiness most important?

囍宴就是幸福的开始吗?
那不结婚就不会幸福吗?
粉碎父母的梦想就是不孝吗?
我心慌,我彷徨,
真爱真地能克服万难吗?
面子真比我们的幸福重要吗 。 。 。

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

James, thanks for sharing your thoughts. i believe there is no correct, perfect time to execute something like this. and no one can guarantee the outcome. i guess eventually there WILL be a good opportunity when the stars align and when you feel ready to let your loved ones confront with the truth of who you are. most of the time, our readiness (or not) stems from our understanding of our loved ones - whether they are ready or not. it's a dilemma isn't it? we have responsibility towards our other half, and our family - both of which matter dearly.

i've shared my coming out episode with you in Shinjuku and till this date, i am amazed at how my mum made it so easy for me. it was surreal. she said all the right things like "you are who you are..."; "you are still the son i know..."; "i want you to be happy..."; and the ultimate which reduced me to tears... "do you think daddy and i are responsible?..."

since when did the parents want to be responsible? this brings to mind why dun we see gay sons storming into the parents' room and blaming them for making us gay?

what i want to say is i had assumed my mum would not take to my being gay well. but that couldn't be further from the truth. they may take some time to adjust or let the fact sink in, but eventually they'll realise it's all but just a trait that makes you their son. i have a feeling that in our social environment, it may not be something to be celebrated or boast about (when will that day come?), but they will give you and John your blessings deep down.

keep the faith. and do it at your own pace. never rush into it when you're not ready, or feel pressurised. cos you'll only hate yourself if the outcome doesn't come out favourable. on the other hand, if you do it on your own accord, you'll be ready for anything. =)

whatever it is, you're not alone. i'm rooting for you here, and hey, i love you more for who you are!!

=))

JameZ said...

兔ちゃん、

本当にありがとうね!

Thank you for sharing your touching story and your support and love. I really feel it.

I guess coming out is also a maturing process. Taking responsibility for who we are, and the lives we choose to live. Not a gay life, but an honest one.

I think I believe that love will eventually conquer all. No matter what I do, I will always be their son. I have not robbed, stolen or killed, so I should take myself down from this crucifix that I have built.

With every discovery and honest attempt comes courage to face the next hurdle. The day will come ...

Anonymous said...

Hi James

Hope you are feeling alright. I would feel one possible approach is to deal the matter stepwise, instead of dropping the bomb suddenly.

I am sure your parents do love you and will be able to accept you eventually, but do you think they are ready to handle the truth/shock now? And are you confident to address to their emotions, should they dun take it well?

Sometimes, certain damages are jus irreversible. Perhaps u can start dropping hints here and there, and judge accordingly the next steps to take based on their reactions. Its always good to play safe, nothing to do with pride, but jus being steadfast.

I am sure if your parents are upset, u will not be happy too. Anyway, i salute you for your effort. I can see tt u have been trying your best to play the role of a good lover, a good son, a good brother and uncle!

All the best yeah!

JameZ said...

Hi Ryan,

Thanks for sharing your comments. Truth is indeed shocking which is why people prefer to hide in denial. It's safer because we don't have to face any consequences that may results.

My parents do love and see me in that loving way but like what many people in the older generation have been brought up to believe in the model that we are all made to marry and have children. Heterosexuals are now also challenging that model of thinking, so why not us?

As for the fear of losing face, it is an integral part of us, not only in Asians but some other cultures as well. It's not wrong, but it stops us from moving on. We stay stuck which is why we need to be free. However, it is difficult because people are still coloured by general opinions and perceptions. Our world lacks a leader to guide us in this loving vision, so in the meantime, we just have to do it for ourselves and inspire others along the way. Keep loving!!!

JameZ said...

Hi Jason,

Thanks for taking on my advice to share your opinion here. They are precious and others can learn about it at the same time.

I do agree that dropping hints and watching is a good idea. I have done so but they always come back with something traditional. Like you said in your email, they believe that Marriage + Kids = Happiness.

We understand that this is far from the truth nowadays. It may happen for some, but it is not for everyone. We need to find the path meant for us.

I am trying to be the best I can, and sometimes I, like everyone, can forget that we need to be pleased ourselves too. We lose ourselves in our mission, so Thank you for pointing that out.

I have been taught about love at a young tender age, which is why I value that more than anything. To be able to share my love is an intense pleasure and for it to be accepted, a true blessing.

Thank you for all your words and encouragement. This is love.

JameZ said...

Hi Ryan,

Thanks for the contrast. I like diversity because it helps us to discover new perspectives that could have been blind to us previously.

It is true that the more we think, the more confused and afraid we get. That's why there's the motto "Just do it".

Ignorance can only be cured with education and empathy. Many of these people do not know people who "suffer" from such insecurities or differences, which is why they can choose to ignore. Look at the world and how people come together to support different causes only after they have someone in their family suffer a certain tragedy.

Education is gold but there are the gatekeepers who prevent these information from being presented and prefer to distort them for their own use. The more unfortunate thing is that these people are usually our leaders, political and religious, so people get misled because they believe that this is the agenda of their God, which is not about unconditional love, but about colours ...