Saturday, August 26, 2006

The Asian Queer "Revolution"

I received my usual updates from Fridae and there were some interesting articles about a famed Malaysian journalist and some ordinary Singaporeans coming out in their books respectively.

Since this is a topic of discussion on my previous post, I thought it would be nice to share a few of these "brave stories" here to spur me and everyone else caught in the same boat.

Here are the links:

Oyoung WenFeng

Queer in Singapore



Talking Cock

I believe it is good that these people are stepping out into the limelight and particularly brave of the 15 ordinary Singaporeans featured in the second link. The following quotes from the Indian lesbian resonated with me:

"Coming out is an act of courage but you need to support your community by being out too. I needed to do it to help bring my own community as in the Indian community out of the closet and that it's okay"

I am lucky because I am out to my friends here in Australia but I do have some friends back in Singapore who have to lead a secret life, not only to their families but to their friends as well. I don't know how much exposure these articles might get in the media but I am hoping that the press will help to shape positive attitudes when the books are launched. Sometimes, ordinary people can be daily heroes too.

2 comments:

JameZ said...

No, Ryan.

I had toyed with the idea before but have placed it in the backburner at the moment. It is always at the back of my mind because I know this is my true passion, but then I get stuck on what to write, what to present. I don't think I am good at fiction, but then again, I could always write it from my own experience (where most writers go) and then fictionalise it.

I need to find not only my own voice but something niche that I can contribute. Something that is uniquely mine. That has eluded me or maybe I am just not looking hard enough. Aren't all our lives exclusive, but then again, what begs to be told in my story?

If anyone has any ideas, I am most open to suggestions.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.