Thursday, October 20, 2005

A Good Catch



I guess it's as good a compliment when someone says "He's a good catch". It was paid by a new friend of ours who had flown from the States on a holiday and hooked up with us and it was funny that John should reply "And he knows it."

Ha! Ha! Do I know that I am one? I guess deep down, honestly, "Yes", but then I did work hard at it. It can also be rather subjective because everyone has different needs and may perceive a "good catch" as something/someone totally different, but I am happy because I believe it was a compliment on my values and attributes than the physical sense.

It is true that we have to take care of our outer being which is physicality, but I strongly believe that what is more important is what lies beneath, and that is what I worked twice as hard. There is nothing much that we can do with our physical attributes because a lot of that is god-given, and we can argue that we can artificially enhance them through cosmetic surgery. I am not against it because God knows I would like to be taller, but that is not what wins friends, lovers or respect. We can do everything to look our best but that is sometimes just a facade for the insecurities we feel beneath. To me, it is more important to be comfortable in our own skin.

For me, I was lucky to be introduced to self development courses and open my heart and mind enough to be sceptical enough at first, but not to ignore and recognise the benefits that it could bring to my life and my insecurities. I don't think we can ever get rid of them and I don't want to because it is all part of being human ... to feel, but it is important to recognise ...

Knowledge and recognition are the keywords because we cannot change/improve what we don't know. To know what kind of a person I wanted to be (not career wise), but how I wanted to be, and take on the actions that would ascertain that. I am still fearful because they can all be challenges but then we will never be, if we don't.

In all relationships, be it friendships, kinships, couple hood, every step is a learning challenge and it is important to learn from our failures to make us stronger and better. To not be jaded and cynical after all the challenges is what I aim to be. So, do we all have the capabilities to be a good catch? Absolutely, but only if we work on it and knowing it certainly helps. Sweetness from life comes from hard work and the appreciation of what dreams can bring.

No comments: