Wednesday, August 31, 2005

Goodbye Yesterday Hello Tomorrow?

Lately, I have been receiving quite a few emails from friends who have sent mass emails out about updating our information on the various address and birthday alerts databases like Plaxo and Mobile Friends Network on SMS.ac.

I generally don't have too much of a problem updating my moible phone number and email address or joining their "circuit of friends" but I wonder if this is the best replacement for our worn out address books that we have to replace once in a while.

We are so reliant nowadays on emails that sometimes I think we just don't make the effort to meet up anymore. There are endless "We've gotta catch up sometime" which tends to get lost in replies. This is usually unavoidable when it comes down to phone calls making an appointment because we can usually read the non-verbal signs through the intonation of the person's voice if they were really keen in the first place.

Another thing I have a problem with is the lack of communication after we update our information. Usually, I don't hear from them after I have done that and am probably just flooded with some information from the networks about how I can be a member and send my friends such reminders as well.

The only exception was receiving a note from my French university mate, Clement, who took the time to write back with Thanks and a follow up appointment. Personally, I think we need to follow up on these to make sure that technology enhances, not consumes our life and take away one of the most important and funadmental things of life ... human connection and communication.

What do we do after we get the information is what I want to know and understand? Do we use it as a contacts database that some people like to use for business purposes or is it a better form of keeping contacts, as they flaunt. Why is it then that we seem to hear nothing from them after we update our information?

Nothing makes me feel better than a phone call or a personal email from a friend saying "How are you?" and we can all make that difference, no matter how busy we are. Of course, if we are physically apart in different parts of the world, it is difficult to meet up, but I believe that we should all make the effort to meet up and make that connection, which I hope it is what this new technology brings about.

John is one of the best examples who doesn't dab into such technology, preferring his address book and I have great admiration for the effort he takes to remember birthdays and calling friends once in a while, and trying to tie up an appointment. My aunt is another person who has a knack for remembering birthdays and since she is blind, she has no way of using such systems. It is an art lost to technology nowadays and they are both rewarded with many close friends who appreciate their efforts and reciprocate.

Sometimes, I feel like the reason why we have Mothers and Fathers Day is to remind ourselves to show affection to people that we care about, which is bascially the same way these systems work . It is sad that we need such reminders, because we should love our family and friends only on these special day(s), it should be everyday or every single chance we get.

In this cold world, we need more of these people to keep the flame of human kinship alive. Nothing can take away the special connection humans have with each other but it up to us to make it happen and then keep it flowing ...

1 comment:

JameZ said...

Thanks, Stacy.

It is so nice to know that organisations are keeping in touch with what consumers have to say about their products.

Your comments here has strongly improved the image of Plaxo in my mind.