Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Is This Still The Same World?

I had a particularly nasty experience last Sunday, rather Earth shattering in many ways to me. I believe my love for children is well documented, not only by my stories but also by the number of baby and children photos I share on this blog.

Last Sunday, as I walked out of JB Hi-Fi (the local mega music store) towards Town Hall Station, I passed by the boutique Jeans West and a shirt on the show window caught my eye. As I turned around to head for a closer look, I was distracted by the sight of a two or three year old boy running out of the store, giggling with glee. I saw the woman in front of me flinch, paused for a second, and then proceeded to go on her way. Seeing that there was no parent in sight, I caught hold of the child's arm as he swooshed past me.

At the corner of my eye, I caught sight of an adult running out, and assuming it was one of the parents, I stood still waiting for whoever it was to claim the child. A young woman rushed out, flustered, and when she saw that I had held onto the child, paused about 2 metres away from me. In a scene reminiscent of a police heist, she said to me sternly "Mate. You can let go of him now". I was shocked. I thought I had heard wrongly. She repeated, "Yes, you can let go of him now".

I loosened my grip and then she said "Thank you". It all turned out to be a blur from then on, as I proceeded to the window to look at the shirt. However, I no longer held interest because a part of me was dying inside. Here is a stranger who has just accused me of being a possible pedophile, kidnapper, nasty man etc. I sought within myself to deny this new "identity" that this stranger has just imposed on me. I was drowning with this new tag on top of me. I was confused that I didn't know how to react. Instead of getting back at her, I silently walked away.

I don't know if I was expecting any gratitude, but her reaction was totally uncalled for. What I did was a good deed and all I received was an accusation. It was unfair and what I would hate to come out of this is my fear of caring and intervening when we need to. This is why people stop helping others. The child could have run into an escalator or a door and injured himself. Someone else could have ran away with him. What did she think I was going to do? There were so many people around. None stopped to help and what did she think I could do? Run, molest, kidnap?

It really affected my mood for the rest of the day and upon further analysis, I realised that it touched on several insecurities and issues within myself ... especially around the seeming impossibility of parenthood and how I may never have this sort relationship with any child that I can call my own, and also the fact that I have been away from my family for almost a year, and I miss them.

Thankfully, my friends whom I had shared my experience with, have all expressed their shock and horror at the mother's reaction. I wonder if it was her way of skirting responsibility and asserting blame on others since she was the one that had not taken more care of the child? If not, what has this world become?

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

James
a tough experience...ongoing for men in these times which is sad...this sort of experience encourages men to withdraw from our community when the need for positive male role models is so very needed...your response was so natural, postive and powerful.

please do not loose heart
p x

Unknown said...

james, i think you have to think a little more subjectively rather than too personally. first of all, she doesn't know who you are. secondly, you can't say she is a bad mother b/c you don't who she is either. maybe she just happened to have stressful day and accidentally lost the kid due to some distraction. i'm sure she will appreciate what you did if she knew your real attention. if i were you, i would rather look for local police or someone employee working in the shopping mall for help.

JameZ said...

Thanks Pete.

One of my colleagues gave me the same advice. She was once told off for hugging a child and though she felt outraged at that point as well, she told herself that it was not going to stop her from feeling.

I remember the next day when I saw some kids that my first reaction was to circle around them with fear, and I discovered how horrible these incidents can be, because they can cause me to lose something that I treasure.

It was important for me to connect with another child, so being able to hold and touch Marli, John's niece's baby yesterday in Newcastle was most important. It allowed me to reconnect with that special part of me that I am really proud of. Thanks!

JameZ said...

Dear Ryan,

I appreciate what you shared. When I first arrived in Sydney and encountered what some may call "racist contacts", I brushed that aside as being part of someone else's bad day.

I tried to be as objective as I can be, but after looking at the current world happenings, I know that it is the current state of the world - the amount of fear mongering, the myopic power hungry authoritarians that are ruling the world, unjust etc - that is driving people away from what is most important - human relationships.

Sure, I could have called for help but I keep asking what if ... What if the child kept on running and knocked onto a glass door, what if the child ran onto the nearby escalator, fell and injured himself, what if someone else scooped him up and ran away ... Do we really have time to think and get help before we react?

Unknown said...

i totally understand that it's natural for someone like you who genuinely cares about others to take action immediately. but then why was it necessary for you to feel so down b/c of the mother's reaction? you should feel happy you saved the child. so my point is you should not let unthoughtful ppl bring you down.

Anonymous said...

Hi james, its your intention that matters. If your intention is to help and u managed to do so, then your mission is accomplished --> help is delivered - regardless of how the receipient or others will feel.

So give yourself a good pat - you have done a good job & your actions have not been wasted (who knows he might jus fall down or get himself into some trouble) :D

JameZ said...

Hi Ryan,

I guess the values that I was brought up on, was always to offer help to anyone who is in need, and always show appreciation when someone extends a friendly hand.

I guess you can say I'm old fashioned in my values, but I was disappointed.

It is easier to be objective when one is not caught in the situation, but I guess this incident just brought up some unsettled issues for me which is why it was more painful. Maybe it didn't have so much to do with the mother, but the fact that I may never be a father ...

JameZ said...

Hi Jason,

Long time no see/hear. I was thinking about you today and how I have not heard from you. Life is crazy at the moment, so forgive me for not keeping more in touch. Take Care and Thank you for your encouragement.

Secret Agent said...

Wow... that definitely sucks. Some people are so ignorant.

JameZ said...

Dear Secret Agent,

Thank you for your comments in support, and welcome to my blog.

Unfortunately, my new post might contest our beliefs that we should be doing good in this world. Scary isn't it?