Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Heart's Asylum

We got it.

After days of self doubt and franzied anticipation, the decision was finally delivered to us this afternoon at 3 pm. When yesterday turned into thin air and as my anxiety grew this morning, I deliberated whether to call for an update or not. Working in the current environment where I abhor students with no patience and have to constantly call up for an update, I wonder if I was turning into one of my nightmare cases.

Curiosity got the better of me and I wanted to show that I was still interested, so I picked up the phone and started off apologetically for causing any inconvenience. I knew we were still in the game when she sweetly disclosed that they were still waiting for the landlord's response. It didn't really help because no one around me knew the games of these real estate agents. Do they present their best case or do the landlords play Russian Roulette?

When the call finally arrived, I could detect a small sense of congratulatory in her tone over the receiver, as she told me that we were successful in our application and asked when we could pop over to pay a week's rental deposit. I replied "Right away" because it was about a 20 minute walk up to where they were. I also thanked her and said that she had no idea how much I appreciated this decision. As I hung up the phone and hi-fived my best mate, Maya at work, the office erupted into roars of cheering as they had all been on the fringe of this rollercoaster ride with me.

I ran up as fast as I could and paid the sweet natured receptionist, who always appeared a little impatient over the phone whenever I called, but was very charming in person. I also asked if there was any way there was going to be retraction of their promise and she promised me No, but I guess after this entire episode, I wouldn't really settle till I sign the lease agreement.

I am elated that this is almost finally over us and I want to take this special opportunity to thank everyone - all my dear friends and readers - who have given John and I so much love, concern and support over the past weeks and especially over the past few days. You have given me strength to continue walking this journey called life and I don't think I would have been able to do so without all your prayers and your love. Thank you.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations, James! Now you can relax and wait for Enka's arrival. :-)

Anonymous said...

congrats....now start planning your house warming party!

Jack

Anonymous said...

congrats congrats!!!

JameZ said...

Thanks Jerry. My friend is heading back to Japan in July, so I might get him to bring it back with him.

That is if I decide that I can wait that long. Otherwise, I will get it sent to work. ;-)

JameZ said...

That's right Jack, and thank you for your suggestions and your support!

So, when are you having yours? It will take us some time to settle down again but we will definitely have one to thank everyone for their support.

JameZ said...

Thanks Jason for your friendship and support!

Anonymous said...

Hey, just managed to read your blog since the past two weeks and was surprise by the house-searching woes you are in.
Glad to hear that its all over :-).

Take care...
Terence