Sunday, April 23, 2006

Happy Days

Giving is a beautiful feeling. The week before, in conjunction with Easter and a few birthdays within my family, I went on a shopping spree and bought a few things to send back to my family in Singapore. The first place I walked into was this child learning toy shop which was near when we do our shopping and most of its items were on sale, which made shopping rather fun but difficult at the same time. I wanted to settle on a farm and some ranch dolls and animals, but since the toys were rather small, John expressed his worry that my two year old nephew might end up putting them into his mouth.

Not wanting to risk that, though I had a pretty good idea he had stopped doing that, I moved toward another section and saw some jockey dolls on sale. Two female and one male. The price tag of $5 each (down from $20) quickly clinched the deal within my mind, especially when I recalled a conversation with Mom a month back that Joshua was quite fascinated with horses. I looked around for a suitable horse, and there was package that came with one, but it was for the whopping price of $40 for the horse and the jockey. "No way I'm going to pay $35 for a small unimpressive horse like that.", I said to John.

We looked around the shop and found some smaller horses at a cheaper tag, but they were too small for the dolls, and it would have been pointless. I suggested that we moved to KMart, and eventually found a great deal - a rainbow brite looking doll without the ugly rainbow makeup. A good sized, smart looking horse with a full mane, tail and comb, all for $12.50 at KMart. It was a steal and I immediately bought two of them and went back to the other shop for the dolls. Yes, I had to buy two of each because it was my niece's birthday next week and I didn't want them to fight over the one doll. Afterall, they could go horse-riding together. No brokeback moutain adventures, because I got a male and a female jockey, but it would still be lots of childish fun.

Anticipating my mother's "distaste" for such "extravangance", I wrote a note explaining the joys of giving, and my present to her was the gift of their smile and joy. Packed with other goodies like dates and chocolates, I sent the parcel, expecting it to arrive in a week. I received a call in 3 business days at around 8.30 pm (Australian) and 6.30 pm (Singapore) with an invitation to speak on web cam. The web cam has been great, allowing me to see and talk to them in real time and it really eases the loneliness of not seeing and watching them grow up, which is something I am really missing, not only because it is more difficult for me to have children.

My only request for a present was a videoclip of them opening up their presents. Though I didn't get it, and had to see their delighted faces on screen with their presents already opened, I had the pleasure of knowing that Joshua had his mouth wide open when he tore up the wrapping paper (in times, I know he will be taught to open them nicely. Ha! Ha!) and saw the horse. Joy was also equally excited, playing with Joshua immediately. I was also told that they were not crowding around the webcam because they are so excited about their presents and couldn't wait to start playing with them. "It was thoughtful of you to buy two" my sister told me, and the entire episode brought a lot of joy for me. Coupled with our anniversary, the double happiness resonated with me for many days after that.

No comments: