Thursday, December 22, 2005

Happy Birthday To Me ...

I am not lonely, so I don't have to sing "Happy Birthday to Me", but I am singing this today because I want to congratulate myself for getting here ... where I am at this point of my life. I think we forget to appreciate and congratulate ourselves sometimes for the work we have done in our life and if we are only to measure our achievements by the material goods that we own, then I think we are grossly undervalued. Of course there are many things that I don't have ... mostly material ... but I have many other wonders and miracles that money can't buy. I have my wonderful and loving family, lover, relatives, and friends, many of whom I am so thankful for, because of your grand acceptance of me, just for who I am.

For official purposes, I turn 34 today. Many of my friends lament that no one celebrates their birthdays after they turn 30 (or they just stop counting) but on the contrary, I love myself even more now than I was in any other time of my life. Sure I still have my insecurities, but I can comfortably say that I am happier than I have ever been. No longer do I feel like I have to impress or prove to someone, and I am comfortable in my own skin. There is still a long journey to walk upon, but the impressions are deeper.

Birthdays are also a time for gratitude and appreciation. So, I would like to thank my mother for bearing 17 hours or so of labour pains to bring me to this world and for everyone in my life, here and gone, that have taught me the valuable lesson of love and the joys of giving. I am richer everyday because of the life lessons I have learnt and I am still doing so everyday.

The other most important person I want to thank is my best friend who is also my partner, John, who is constantly testing and renewing my faith in love and I am constantly amazed by my ability to love, even when it hurts. Thank you for everything and I am looking forward to more in the future ...

Life is beautiful because there is always two sides to a story ... and I am thankful that I am able to walk on the sunny path and be thankful for all that I have in my life. Thank you to all lof you, my dearest for adding so many wonderful colours to my life journey ...

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday James!!!

No birthday song from me.
Just wishes, love and glee.
For you my friend, on this wonder day,
To live happily henceforth, I pray.

Indeed, a long journey there is to walk upon.
But, John will be there for you to lean on.
Fear not of insecurities.
For we will also be here, to share in your joys and griefs.

Be who you are, was the path you've chosen.
So stand firm and not be shaken.
In time, LOVE will always sort thing out.
May your family and friends once again around you crowd.


From a friend who care, with love abundance...

Anonymous said...

dearest James...
Happy 'belated' Birthday! :-)
We are all proud of where you are and what you have!

Have a wonderful Christmas and a tremandously rewarding 2006..

Cheers,
Terence

Jack said...

Happy Birthday..

JameZ said...

Hi Pat,

Thank you so much for this beautiful poem and for coming back into my life. I want you to know that I will accept all your well wishes with love and wish you the same. Anytime you need a friend or just a listening ear, I want you to know that I am just a phone call or an email away. My reappearance in your life might signify a change for you with wishes of renewed courage and regeneration for yourself in the the new year. May you find the space and the time to be who you want to be, and I want you to know that I will be there with open arms of friendship, catching you if you fall.

JameZ said...

Hi Terence,

Thank you so much, my "old" friend. Belated wishes are always better than never, so Thank you.


I hope you had a nice Christmas and may 2006 be a prosperous and wonderful time for you.

Hope to hear from you again soon.

JameZ said...

And now to my new friend, Jack.

We may not have met in flesh but I strongly believe in transatlantic friendships like ours.

Over this past year, I have read many of your moving stories and felt like I know you as a friend. So, Thank you for sharing all your stories and your comments. I really appreciate them very much!

For 2006, I wish you love and happiness because I know that finding someone to share your life with is something of high value to you. Like an aunt of a friend who said during Christmas "Everyone needs someone to love" ...