Thursday, April 07, 2005

The Days I Spent With You

Days of play and idle
Days of fun and laughter
Days of cries and whispers
Days of my love for you

Simple events but significant moments, every smile, frown, nod, cry or laughter, I thank you for the chance to get to know you better. As you grow older and since I live on another land, I can only be with you for a short period of time. However, this allows me to cherish every moment we share and makes them all extra special.

The selfish part of me doesn't want you to grow up so fast so that everytime I see you, we can move on from where we left, but I know this is not possible. I never believed when my parents told me when I was young that disciplining me was painful for them, but when I heard your cries, I understood them immediately. This unfamiliar pain ... maybe this is what they call parental love ...

Thank you for not crying and making me reacquaint with you everytime this trip. I will never forget the audible gasp in the wee hours of the first morning when you woke up in your cot to find me (instead of Grandpa) sleeping in the bed next to you. The shy look on your face as you turned away after I opened my eyes. The delight on your face as you patiently waited till Mom and I built the children's tent house where you could call your home. The silence with the glance you held while I told you that I was leaving for Australia the next day. I'd never thought you'd understand, but I'm glad you do.

Thank you for allowing me the chance to experience parental love to a child. Another unconditional form that up till now I truly understood and would like to explore that more with you and Joshua. The simple days of just being with the two of you ...

No comments: