Thursday, May 01, 2008

Such is Life

I just finished watching the sombre film "My Life Without Me", a small indie movie that I like very much. As the name suggests, the movie explores what we might do if we realise that we only have a very limited time left on Earth. Not everyone is as lucky to get notice, because for some of us, it will just come very suddenly, with little or no warning.

After this, I browsed through my fellow friend's blog and read about a sudden death of his friend, someone that he used to keep in touch during his school days even though he was his senior, but had sort of lost close contact with since. News of death is always so difficult to accept, especially when it is someone who used to be close, but as a result of time, distanced ourselves not of choice, but because of life.

I had a friend like that too. He was in his 50s, still too young to leave us. He taught me much, lessons that I still cherish till today. Even now when I feel low on creativity and inspiration, his voice of encouragement still rings in my ear. He was a teacher when I stepped out here and lived on my own for the first time. I remember his generosity when I moved onto my first apartment with my other housemates. We had no cutlery, crockery, plates, little things that cost plenty of money, and he was like coal in Winter, helping us create our first home out of nothing.

He always had so many stories to tell, and an eager ear to listen as well, always ready to give credit and the encouragement when due. I realised at his funeral that I was not alone. Many other people were touched in the same way. Through his encouragement, I organised my first and only Halloween Party to date, my only cooking party and inspired us with his marvellous cooking, to always go for the best. He also helped me with my one and only attempt at proper dessert making - Crème brûlée with a chocolate mousse topping, an old French recipe from the oldest French Cooking Book, which he swore by. Like the song "MacArthur's Park", the recipe is now gone forever with his departure.

He had his idiosyncrasies as well, but those just made chatting with him more interesting and challenging at the same time. He may be difficult to some but he was always kind to me and many others. It has been 2 years since he left, but the memories still lay fresh on the days when I brush by a familiar scene, and the scenes of laughter and friendship we shared replay.

This is the beauty and the fragility of life. We may not live forever but we leave impressions on the footpaths of other's lives. I will always miss you, Jack, and the other people I have lost, but the traces of all of you will always grace the pathways of my life as long as I should live.

No comments: