Thursday, April 19, 2007

Superstars Exhibition in Singapore

One of my dearest and oldest friend, Leslie Kee, whose newest creation "Superstars" which I have featured a couple of times on my blog is finally exhibiting in Singapore.

"Superstars" which is banned in Singapore will be exhibited at the National Museum finally from the 27th April till 4th May and the best thing is that admission is FREE. His 2 year labour of love featuring over 250 Asian artists, is dedicated to the unfortunate victims of the Asian Tsunami disaster where the profits from each copy will be donated to helping them rebuild their homes. Unfortunately, since the book is banned in Singapore, it will not be for sale.

However, a good attendance response could force the authorities to rethink their decision. Leslie has been very kind to send me a free copy and it is simply devine. His dedication towards bringing Asian artists and beauty to the forefront of the world is commendable and must be encouraged. In a world where beauty is traditionally seen as primarily Caucasian, Leslie challenges these definitions by rewriting history as we speak.

It is a beautiful collection of photographs and the interesting contrast with what the National Museum represents to most people represents an exciting combination of new art. He will personally be there on the day of the opening at 7 pm and so will many "superstars" of Singapore.

If you are there on that night, please feel free to approach Leslie and say Hi because he is one of the friendliest and nicest celebrity photographer you will ever meet. Feel free to introduce me as your friend or relative and I hope he will remember. Just kidding.

So, if you have time, please feel free to go and support him. I am sorry I will not be there, Leslie, but I am doing my part by promoting your event because I think it is so important that we challenge the norms of our society and more so because I am so proud to call you my friend.

About Superstars: Special feature from a Japanese magazine

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulation in your 5th Anniversary.

(I did not get into your anniversary blog. I want to leave it just for both of you.)

miss ene said...

I stumbled on your blog while searching for information on Leslie Kee's exhibition in Singapore. Will definitely be there and I hope the exhibition packs them all in! I still cannot believe they banned the book. SHEEESH.

JameZ said...

Thanks Patrick.

I don't know why I missed this but I do appreciate it very much. ;-)

JameZ said...

Hi Ene,

Leslie will be very happy with whatever support he can get. I believe the banning was due to male nudes and it is indeed sad that they still define art in their very restrictive way.

Hope you have a good time and let us know what you think.