Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Reading On Buses

Do you read on buses? I do, but do you think that the person sitting next to you is peering over at what you are reading sometimes? Maybe it is because I do that myself sometimes, but I am more interested in the title of the book than the actual writing. I do it sometimes to make mental notes if the reader seems totally engrossed in it rather than lifting their heads once in a while to make some poetic stare, signifying the "non-captivity" of the book.

I also play this little game of trying to associate the genre with the person, like an attempt to read a book by its cover. "Viola! I knew it. You are such a cliche." Can we really read a person by their book cover?

Why is it also that I feel eyes prying most when I reach a page of some invariable love making or words like "throbbing cock", that I feel the urge to close the book then and look away. Am I being prudish, ultra sensitive or vain in trying to disguise what I am reading? Maybe people just don't care ...

No comments: