Friday, March 23, 2007

Happenings

It's been a long time. Not because of writer's blog but pure fatigue from the hectic schedule at work over the past month or so. We have also been subjected to high levels of stress because we have been given notice once again that we might have to move again. This is because the apartment that we moved to since December is once again up for sale due to the owner's inability to make the mortgage payments. Poor luck, but it could also be read positively as a sign that the universe is trying to tell us something.

This invariably impacts on our decision to buy an apartment but we have to be very careful that we do not make a rash decision because it would end up disastrous in any case. Owning a place one can call home is ultimately many people's dream, man or woman. I have found that Australians do not have a tendency to build their savings as much as Asians are educated since young to do so, hence many Australians are unable to realise their dream till later in their lives, which is a really common phenomenon. Hedonism and qualify of life ruled against than the security needs of most Asians.

Citizens in Singapore are fortunate enough for the government to realise that satisfying this need for security and dream is vital to most people which is why affordable housing weighed high on their plans and they have succeeded well. Australians on the other hand, have over the years, used mortgages as their way of forced savings. My friend read an article in the Economist that now, with the economy tapering off and slowing down, significant gains are not going to be seen through mortgages and most of the payment is for interest, rather than true savings because the property market will not be seeing any significant booms. Hence, my friend's decision is to save for ten years, and then pay cash for a piece of property, rather than be tied to a mortgage. This is just a point of view from an economist and I can totally see the validity of her point. However, I can also see the emotional need for security from John's point of view, so I guess the ultimate decision lies with what is more important for us and what will make us happy. If a house is what we need to cement our relationship by building a home because we cannot get married, then that would be the best.

Some of my friends have also claimed that it is now inevitable that my parents do not have an inkling of my sexuality and our relationship, since they support both of us buying a house together, and potentially being tied to a mortgage for thirty years. It's a softer and more rational way for them to accept us and maybe this is their way of dealing with the fact that I am gay. However, I don't think they will ease on asking the same questions, giving the same advice (on girlfriends), so that they get to deal with this to best they can, and hope that they did not fail as parents.

Ultimately, I want my parents to know that regardless of my sexuality, I am happy and that they have done a good job. I want them to share my world, my wonderful family and group of friends who give me so much love and support. I want them to be proud of who I am because I believe they should be. It's a long lesson and potentially a hard one, because I will be the teacher this time, but it will possibly happen, if and when they come and visit me again in Australia.

No comments: