Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Rush Rush

I guess this is what we get from living in the city. Rushing from point to point. As much as we tell our bodies or our bodies rebel with aches and illnesses, there doesn't seem to be any real slowing down in our lives for a longer period of time. Small pockets of escapes into our own world where there is no existence of time and we dictate the place.

What I hate, yes, I am angry about this rush fanatic is the sensibility and respect that people seem to lose in its presence. Does anyone stop at the pedestrian (zebra) crossings anymore? I have to cross at least two each working day, and I am truly amazed at how many cars zoom by even as I stop at the zebra crossing, waiting. They seem oblivious not only towards my presence but also for the rules. That apart, where is the basic respect for me?

I am tempted so to stick my middle finger up in the air and swear like my girlfriend did when we tried to cross once and the car just rushed pass us. I am also tempted to kick the car if they are slow to pass by like my other friend does but I have more respect than to do that. Would I have to stoop to such measures to demand some simple decency and respect?

The other thing that irritates me is stupidity. People seem to forget that when they rush for buses. They forget that they are vulnerable and they become blind only to one course, like the reckless and disrespectful drivers. Don't people realise that they have only one life and only one chance to write this path of their history? What do we have to do to stop and breathe ...

1 comment:

JameZ said...

Ha! Ha! I remember Leslie telling me that one of the easiest ways to spot a foreigner in Japan is a "jaywalker". So true.

However, these cultural values do influence us. The other thing I love to do is have an ice cream and stroll down the streets window shopping at the same time.

I mistakenly ordered an ice cream from Hagen Das only to remember after I finished paying that I would have to stand in the foyer and finish it before I start walking again. That pissed me off a little, but it did slow me down. Ha! Ha!

The other thing that bothers me is punctuality. I guess we sometimes just pack so many things in our life that we have to rush so that we are not too late, not punctual. Another golden rule from Zing once: Don't be ambitious, be punctual.