Monday, May 01, 2006

A Song For You

I remember the first time I heard this song. A group of us were seated around my lounge watching the "第53回白歌合戦" waiting for Akina's comeback performance that year in 2002, and suddenly, we found ourselves entranced by this beautiful voice and song. Dumbstruck by its beauty, we were all momentarily speechless. It gave us goosebumps as we listened to it for the first time.

An Okinawa inspired melody, this song launched the singer 夏川りみ's career to new heights. Since I don't really understand Japanese too much, I don't really pay much attention to the lyrics. However, I chanced upon this performance of hers last year with Chinese subtitles that made me realise why it has become one of the most popular songs in the past few years, making 夏川りみ the first singer in its 56 years to sing the same song 4 times at 白.

I did a translation myself using the Chinese wordings on the screen but found this beautiful translation on another website, so I am using it but have edited a little. It is a beautiful and touching song about love lost to death, and many people have experienced it in their lives, myself included. For those who have never lost someone before, please don't ever wait till it's too late to let them know how much you love and appreciate them. We need to be thankful for every breath we have and every day we live.

Like the famous Japanese song "秋桜" which speaks of love between a mother and child, this speaks of love between any two human beings and I want to dedicate this song to everyone who has ever lost someone dear, and especially to my web-friend, Jack from My Song For You, who moves me with his little vignettes of his love for his mother, who is no longer around. Like my beloved grandmother whom I lost 8 years ago, they live forever in our hearts ...

涙そうそう

作詞 森山 良子 (Moriyama Ryouko)
作曲 BEGIN
唄 夏川 りみ (Natsukawa Rimi)

古いアルバムめくり ありがとうってつぶやいた
いつもいつも胸の中 励ましてくれる人よ
晴れ渡る日も 雨の日も 浮かぶあの笑顔
想い出遠くあせてもおもかげ探して よみがえる日は 涙そうそう

一番星に祈る それが私のくせになり
夕暮れに見上げる空 心いっぱいあなた探す
悲しみにも 喜びにも 想うあの笑顔
あなたの場所から私が見えたら 
きっといつか 会えると信じ 生きてゆく

晴れ渡る日も 雨の日も 浮かぶあの笑顔
想い出遠くあせても
さみしくて 恋しくて 君への想い 涙そうそう
会いたくて 会いたくて 君への想い 涙そうそう

Translation

I whisper "Thank You" as I leaf through this old photo album
The eternal inspiration within my heart
Should the memories of that smile,
Come rain or shine, fade away into the distance
They return in the days I search for traces of you,
my eyes glisten with tears ...

Almost a habit now, I wish upon the very first star
Looking within the evening skies for you with all my heart
The memories of that smile I think of, in joy or sorrow
And if you can see me, from where you are
I'll have the courage to live on, believing that we'll meet again someday ...

And should the memories of that smile I think of,
Come rain or shine, fade away into the distance
In loneliness and yearning - my feelings for you, my eyes glisten with tears ...

I miss you, if only we could meet - my feelings for you, eyes glistening with tears ...

original taken from waxin' lyrical (edited by Jamez)

5 comments:

Hamu said...

The song was written by 森山良子 in remembrance of her brother who died in an accident.

JameZ said...

Wow! Thanks for the tip, Hamu. It makes the song even more poignant ...

Jack said...

thank you.. what you said is sooo true.. when I told my sister I was able to at least tell mom that I loved her before she left, she was quite upset that she didn't get the chance to tell her.. but I said to my sister, "Mom knew, 'cause you gave up 6 years of your life caring for her full time... Mom could not have asked for a better daughter.."

JameZ said...

You are most welcome, Jack.

What you said is also true. Sometimes, actions mean more than words, but somehow we can be blind to some acts, so I think the spoken becomes a more direct form of saying "Thank You".

Someone commented during a dinner conversation the other night about how we never thank our mother/parents for giving birth and taking care of us. I was happy to yell "I did, I did". 2 years ago, I called her on my birthday to thank her and she was tearful on the other end. That ... was magic ...

Jack said...

that was priceless