Thursday, March 23, 2006

That's The Way Love Goes ...





It had been more than a year since we last travelled on a holiday together, and since John and I have varying ideas of our dream holiday, we set out on a "mission" which would satisfy both of us. Since I prefer "educational" holidays (John half jokingly calls them "shopping holidays") while he prefers a relaxing one, it was tough to decide on the perfect holiday decision.

We had been to Byron Bay on one previous occasion and since one of John's best friends, Leanne lives up there with her beautiful 11 year old son, it is one of those spots that John would do a quasi-family visit at least once a year. When he approached me with another one week visit, I was hesitant, because as much as I love Leanne and Tully, I would like to preserve my annual leave for a longer holiday either back in Singapore or elsewhere. He was quick to sense my hesitation and discussed staying for varying periods of time with the possibility of me returning me home first. I quelled his suspicions by agreeing that I would be happy to stay for 4 days and he agreed that it was a good period. So, we were both delighted with the agreement that we reached.

Being a bargain hunter, John immediately set out to check out on the hotel rates because we decided to make it more special and not stay with Leanne during this trip. John did not want to stay within the Byron Bay tourist hotels because it was too crowded and busy, and wanted to settle on a smaller resort. Leanne suggested this new holiday resort and spa that just opened a couple of months ago called "Byron at Bryon". Coincidentally, there was a really good special on it and we booked it immediately.

I didn't realise that I needed a break that quickly after the Christmas and New Year break, but when the time came, I was ready ... we were ready. We rented a car and the trip from the airport to the resort was a breezy 15 minutes or so. When we arrived, I was gob smacked. Never in my life did I realise that it was going to be that beautiful. I knew from the start when we entered that it was going to be a special holiday.

I couldn't stop snapping photos of the 4 and a half star resort and spa (it was actually 5 star but lost the half star because the reception was not 24 hours) because I couldn't believe my eyes. The staff were incredibly cute and friendly and it was funny that the young men working at the reception were nicer than the women, even though they were definitely heterosexual. They looked like they walked out of a fashion catalogue (okay, maybe for the local shops) but one of them had an incredible smile, I am surprised the toothpaste advertisers haven't knocked on his door yet.

That aside, as you can see from the photos, it is rather "Bali-esque" and the great thing about it is that it is very green too. They have installed an advanced water recycling system that uses "grey water" (water from washing) for non eating or drinking purposes, and on top of that, they have preserved the forestation that they have built the compounds on, so that you can go for bushwalks on planted wooden platforms. It was also only a 10 minute walk to one of the most beautiful white sand beaches I have seen. Wide and tranquil. You will stop to absorb life as it is.

The apartments are well furnished with a living room with an extremely comfortable L-shaped couch and a plasma television, a kitchen and dining area, beautiful bed and a bathroom and bath-tub to simply die for. It was peaceful and we were in so much bliss, we fell in love with everything. Since it was raining the first 2 days, we were able to satisfy my needs with trips to restaurants (a memorable one was "Utopia" in Bangalow with beautiful salads) and shops. There are not surprisingly many surf shops because Byron Bay is famous for their beautiful beaches and surf culture, but to my astonishment, plenty of organic food stores around as well. Since the citizens of Byron Bay have an infamous tag of being hippies and "happily drugged" most of the time, they seem to endorse that as well with their "live green eat green" life policy. A recent survey showed that they were the happiest people in Australia (with Sydney being ranked rather unhappy). I can see why that is so but the population there is also rather transient with many backpackers staying for a year or so, and then moving back to their motherlands.

Nonetheless, there is plenty of good food and fun around. You will never smile or talk to more strangers. I had an interesting encounter at the beach when I was washing my hands at the open air tap after having my delicious lunch with this surfer who was washing himself next to me. He was washing off the sand from his body while warning me of the blue bottles (jellyfish) that were rampant that day in the ocean. He then stopped to show me the marks on his body that were stung by the blue bottles. This harmless friendly encounter would never have happened in Sydney. Everyone is too afraid of what the other person might think if they talked to a stranger.

Thankfully, the next 2 days were sunnier and we spent a lot more time in the sun, at the gorgeous pool and at White beach, which is an isolated beach that we we had to walk downhill, through thick vegetation to get to. There were barely any people there and it was just wonderful to have the beach to ourselves.

Before the vacation, I had some qualms that there might be some withdrawal symptoms being away from email and computers (not that there weren't any there) but I didn't even feel the slightest desire to seek one out. I was relaxed, happy and back in tune with the needs and wants of my mind and body. I was free!!

It is a small price to pay for such essentials, and it not only rejuvenated my zest for life but also of the love between us. It was the perfect honeymoon. We had such a good time with Leanne and Tully as well that we found it a little painful to say goodbye, but we made use of every single moment we had, and had constant smiles on our faces. We slept, ate and lived so well for those four days that the end was a fitting beginning for Valentines Day.

We all need little avenues like this to remind us what we live and work for. Little luxuries that we pamper ourselves so that we can prepare for the next challenge around the corner. It's the beginning of a love affair with this resort, the continuation between us, and the rejuvenation for life ...

More photos here




2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Such wonderful memories and so wish you more of thta freedom everyday!

I love you!

John x

JameZ said...

Thank you. I love you too!

Next Stop: Melbourne ...