Thursday, February 23, 2006

The Sound of "Our" Music



It's the month of the Mardi Gras in Sydney and it's time for some ol' gay time, and what better way to celebrate in the myriad of events than a sing-a-long session of my favourite movie "The Sound of Music".

People who know me are usually startled that I list "The Sound of Music" as my No. 1 fave of all time. The choice is totally sentimental because there are things that you do when you are a child that you end up loving or being scarred for life. This experience turned out positively for me. I remember when I was young and my mother, who is Chinese educated, would usually bring us along to the Chinese romantic movies in the cinema, because she couldn't understand enough English to enjoy the Hollywood movies. She would have to rely heavily on the Chinese subtitles, which would somehow mar the experience of escapism for her. So, if she had a choice, musicals would be her favourite. My father, who was English educated, on the other hand, would treat us to the other spectrum of movies, and since he abhorred romantic movies, the ones that we would watch would be the mainstream disaster movies that were so popular in the late 70s - 80s.

One unanimous choice between them though was "The Sound of Music". I remember being cramped in the crowds at Odeon cinema at Bras Brasah (which is now owned by MacDonalds), waiting to enter the cinema to watch this movie that would affect me forever. Watching it yesterday again for the umpteenth time (at least 20 or more), I realised that the love affair is an enduring one, not only for me, but for many people around the world. As a child and an adult, I find myself attracted to different roles in the movie and there is a bit of something for everyone ... love, music, suspense, fun ... you name it, it's right there. There is rarely a movie that is so loved and condemned at the same time, which manages to delight people for all ages. 10 or more years ago, I read a newspaper article that a woman in her 60s holds the record for watching "The Sound of Music" 94 times in the cinema. Today, when we can easily obtain most popular releases on DVD, there is no need for them to re-release them in the cinema but the cinematic experience is not replicable on the small screen which was why the rights were not sold to TV networks till the 90s. I also don't think there is any other movie that has enjoyed successful revivals in the cinemas in the 70s and 80s.

When we realised that Sydney was bringing "Sing-a-long Sound of Music" back to the State Theatre, I knew we had to be there. What I didn't realise was that about 2000 or so people thought so too. It was packed and there was so much positive buzz. The movie allowed the inner child of everyone to emerge for 3 hours where we all sang along in mass Karaoke style along to all the tunes in the movie. Before it commenced, there was an emcee who would guide everyone on what to do when we see certain characters in the movie. For example, we would raise our hands and cheer when we see Maria, wolf whistle and cheer when we see Captain Von-Trapp (one member in the audience would time it perfectly with his camp long drawl of "Ohhh ... he's so gorrrgggeeeooouuussss" to rapturous laughter from everyone in the cinema), bark when we see Ralf, boo when we see the Nazis, hiss when we see the Baroness (with the occasional catty snarl) and sigh when we see Gretel.



We were also given gift bags (photos will be uploaded later) where we could wave our small sprig of edelweiss in the air when the Captain sings the beautiful theme, pop the party popper when the Captain and Maria kisses for the first time, an invitation to the ball which we would all wave when they suggest it and then again to the waltz, and a piece of curtain fabric which we will all scream "Behind you, Maria. The curtains behind you" when she is fretting about not having any play clothes for the children, which would make her look pretty silly because she thought she was the first to think of that idea! There was also a fashion show, yes, you are right ... they are mad, but it's so nice to see everyone not give a cat's ass about what others think.

There were many children in the audience who were dressed up as the children in sailor clothes, white dresses with blue satin sashes, bread and jam or Gretel. The adults were more innovative, starting with a big group of nuns, real and fake. The winners of the nun group were a group who wore S&M style habits and when they lifted up their skirts in front held with chains, it showed a sign that said "Anal Warts". Not child fanfare but fun nonetheless. Then we had a team who had each had a sign that said "Do-Re-Mi-Fa-So-La-Tea-Do", so that when they all stand together they form the alphabet of music. There were also masses of goatherds, Baronesses, Marias and brown paper packages etc. The winners which was split into 2 groups because of the size was a group of lonely goatherd and two interesting women. One of them wore an Austrian dress, and said "I was just coming home from work and decided to pop in" to explosive laughter from everyone in the audience. No one would wear that dress anywhere let alone to work! Ha! Ha! The other one was a Maria wannabe from the start. Dressed in exactly the same "most awful clothes" when Maria first left the abbey with a suitcase and guitar, she was totally in character, and while she was making her way to her seat on the front row, she skipped up and down the aisle to the delight of everyone, especially yours truly. She also performed it once again on stage to gather audience support for her. It really marked the beginning of something special.

There were only a few people in the audience who had never watched it before (they are probably from Mars - yes ... Men!) and were teased lightly. The rest of us had watched it so many times we could practically memorise most lines. Still, it was very refreshing because for once, there was mass audience participation, and only this once, you wouldn't mind. It was hilarious and put the movie in a totally different light, updated for the noughties!!! The sparkling moments include:

(1) When Maria walked out the abbey, the woman who was dressed in identical fashion stood up and did her dance routine. Encouraged by loud laughter and applause, she walked onto the stage in the dark and skipped along with Maria. She was tactical enough not to block anyone and she even throw her hat at the point when Maria and Captain kissed in the dark. An usher moved to the front in an attempt to get off the stage but the audience booed at him and he left! Priceless.

(2) When Maria walks into the mansion for the first time startled and walks around wide eyed, a man in the audience shouted "Now, don't touch anything." "Break it and you buy it."

(3) When Ralf and Liesel meet each other, two potentially idiotic audience members used their red-light pointers (like those sniper lights) to focus on their groins and breasts. It's terribly funny because it turned a romantic and innocent scene into something totally erotic.

(4) When Liesel replies "How else can we get Daddy's attention?" when Maria says she can't imagine them beautiful kids doing anything nasty, someone (probably the same guy) shouted "Get pregnant!"
(5) After the Captain and Maria kiss and all the poppers have been popped by the audience, a guy shouted "Give her your whistle."

(6) The priceless climatic scene where the Mother Superior swears on screen, upgrading this film from a G or PG rating to M. She says to Maria when she comes back to the Abbey after she realises she has fallen in love, "What is it you can't face?". Now, it's not funny but try putting a comma in the sentence between you and can't and you will get the joke.

(7) When the lady who wins the third prize in the singing contest could stop bowing to the audience, everyone in the audience is encouraged to stand up and bow together with her in all directions.

(8) When the torch lights start screening where the Von Trapps were hiding behind the tombstones, the ushers flashed their torches in the auditorium as well to add onto the suspense.

There are many more but these are the main ones that I remember. I can't remember the last time I had so much fun watching a movie with so many people. Usually, movie watching are silent affairs but this is an experience that is both camp and hilarious! You might think that it was catered for the gay and lesbian audience but I would say 80% of the crowd is heterosexual with ages ranging from 4 to 90 and I think it would have gotten more filthy if it was an "adults only" audience.

According to this site, ["Sing-A-Long Sound of Music" first emerged at the 1988 London Gay and Lesbian Film festival after an event organizer heard that staff at a retirement home in the Scottish town of Inverness had distributed song sheets during a video showing of Seven Brides for Seven Brothers (1954) for sing-along participation. The film was screened at the festival as a sing-along and proved wildly successful.]

It is strongly recommended because it is pure delightful escapism. For more than 2000 people last night at the State Theatre, we were all transformed into children once again, all hearts touched once again by the simple sounds of music.


6 comments:

Jack said...

Wow, thanks for posting this. OMG, we share the same no.1 movie coz this movie has a very special meaning to me. It was my mother who introduced me to this movie when I was very little. The album she bought, I played so much on the hi fi when I was a kid, I ended up making a lot of scratches on it. Her second favorite movie was My Fair Lady.. I still remember the times we would sing the songs together..thanks!

JameZ said...

You are most welcome. I love your posts too. Like mine, they fulfill a very inquisitive side of me. ;-)

You must go and watch it then. It was such a magical experience, if it is not too much for you to take, because I know how much you miss your mother.

I loved "My Fair Lady" too. My mother didn't sing with us (though she loved singing - she could probably do Do-Re-Mi), but as kids, my siblings sang along with me. So really, nothing's changed. ;-)

I bought the DVD and sent it back home and I am patiently waiting for my niece and newphew to fall under that spell too, and I want to be there when they watch it for the first time ...

Anonymous said...

Stumbled across your site. I happen to be the lady in the "most awful clothes" on that fantastic night and am humbled by your appraisal of my "performance".
Was wondering if by any chance you would have a photo as proof to my family that I actually did what I said I did.
Conservative 50 year old mothers don't make fools of themselves!!!!!

JameZ said...

Wow! This is utterly unbelievable. It took me a while to figure out what this message was when I received a notification on email but when I clicked on the link to bring me back to this post, it all dawned upon me.

You were wonderful and I hoped that there were more people in character like you were. I remember my camera failing in battery power that evening and even though I didn't manage to capture a photo of you in fully glory or close up, I found two or three very short video clips with you attempting a few steps. I'm not sure if it is enough to convince your family but I am happy to send them to you if you want them.

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for replying. Any momento of that night would be fantastic if it is not too much trouble.
It started off as a very difficult night for me as we were there in memory of my cousin who died very tragically last year on the day before her 40th birthday.. She was a Sound of Music devotee who insisted on being called Maria when she was a little girl and Edelweiss was her theme song all her life.I could not count the number of times we had our own "sing a long sound of music" together at home.
But a bottle of champagne, her best friend beside me and her spirit within me spurred me onto doing something i never dreamed i would ever dare do.
It certainly would have given her a huge laugh.
I really don't know if I cried or laughed more that night but it was definitely a huge positive step in the healing process for me.
Just thought i would give you a little background info.
my email address is libby@pyrmontcellars.com Look forward to hearing from you.

JameZ said...

You are most welcome Libby. Thank you for sharing this wonderful and moving story. It brought back many bitter-sweet memories of the people that I have lost and like you, would have liked to share more of my present life with.

I empathise with your situation and am happy that the excursion was a healing exercise for you. I have just sent the photos and videos and though they are not great, I hope that it will help you recollect some of what I see as the best bits of the earlier night.

Thank you for your wonderful and open spirit that night. It showed us all what we are all capable of, and your actions then and now with your posts made my day over and over again. Good Luck!