Tuesday, October 17, 2006

I Am Free

I hadn't expected it to be this difficult but it was nice to receive such appreciation and validation of the work that I had done over the past six and a half years. There were many surprised looks, voices and exclamations, many from people whom I only had a phone relationship with, and had never met.

I always thought that my family in Australia was my John and his family and my close network of friends, but then I was wrong. In some ways, I had created a family at work and many of the suppliers whom I had never met were like a family of some other sort as well. So, when I said Goodbye, I felt a wave of sadness, almost like my idol Momoe Yamaguchi when she was putting down the microphone for the last time and giving up this world. I could feel how it must have felt.

The last time I felt this way was when I left Seagate (my last company in Singapore) and there were tears. I wrote everyone a personal farewell card and did the same this time, though I was thankful that there were less to write. I also wrote emails to all my suppliers and some came back with beautiful compliments back, and I would like to share some of them here. It can be interpreted as "showing off" but I will take that risk to show how we can all colour others' lives with our efforts and make a difference:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dear James,

What a truly beautiful email – I wish all our customers were as wonderful as you…!!!!

We will miss you very much as you have always been one of our very favourite “friends”

I want to wish you every success and happiness for whatever the future holds & also thankyou
for being such a genuine delight to deal with.

If the world had more people like you – it would be a much better place.

Take care and keep in touch
With my very best wishes & love
From Tara


Thank you James......It has been a real pleasure working
with you on the phones and helping you with your inquiries.

You always knew the products and your orders are just so
easy to work with and process.

Take care my friend ..the Book industry will not be same
without you and your knowledge of the products.

ALL THE VERY BEST.

Please keep in touch.

Cheers

Sylvia


If you ever move back into this line of business in the future, please contact me, as I would be more than happy to move my patronage to any enterprise you consider.

Regards, and all the very best for the future,

Tom

Congratulations James - we both wish you all the best in your new adventure!
We have always had the ultimate service experience from you and are sad to
see you leave the company. Thanks you so much!! We hope you have a very
special day tomorrow and look forward to your new journey!
Cheers,
Veronica


Hi James,
Thanks for the kind words.

Sorry to see you go.
You were the heart and soul of that business, I hope he appreciated everything you did!!

Good luck in your new ventures.

Cheers

Chris


LOL it’s the strangest thing being so attached to someone you have never
personally met but James we truly appreciate all the training and knowledge
you have patiently passed on to all of us here and really will miss you!


Just reading your email made me all teary and this customer walked in and
almost walked out again...and so I was trying to compose myself and then you
called and it made me cry all over again! Luckily hes a regular customer!

I really wish you all the best and hope you stay in touch with the bookware
team! It will always be a pleasure to work with you!

Best wishes and good luck with your future endeavours,
Maryam
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


During my last interview that I was successful at, I was asked "What do you see as your biggest achievement" over the past 6 years at your current job? My answer was the relationships that I had built over the years with these people. That is my biggest achievement.

Friday was my last day and there was times when I cried when I read some of those emails. However, when I left my work as an ex-employee, there was a lightness that came along with the freedom. I can now look back on those days fondly and walk towards a new chapter of my life with new friends to make, and new lives to grace ...

No comments: