Thursday, June 08, 2006

回家 - Coming Home

Even though things have not been working out the way I would like them to, it has offered me a chance to pack my bags home for a short holiday between the 1st and 19th July. Watching a colleague talk about his upcoming trip to Hong Kong for two years brought me back to Feb 1998, when I was about to embark on this trip to Australia.

Many people ask me how excited I was or how long I took to plan the trip, but seriously, it all happened in a blur. Singapore had progressed to a state where one could no longer move ahead in society if you didn't have a degree, and since there were only 3 universities and very limited places, it became a norm for many people to seek education overseas.

I was the last amongst all my friends to venture overseas and I remember applying for the universities and then not thinking too much about it. It was highly because my beloved grandmother was very sick at that time, which offered me no time to think about other things, and all I do remember is her saying that "I still want to live to see you get married ..." when I told her I was going to Australia.

Those words still ring in my ears today and even though it wouldn't have been another enactment of the movie, "Wedding Banquet", she died a few months later, leaving me much grieved. Thinking back, I guess it was her departure that paved the way for my emancipation. I deeply believe that I wouldn't have chosen this path if she had still been alive.

Even though I no longer regard Singapore as my home, it is still a resting place for me. A place where my loves will always be and I always look forward to going back. Friends might say why don't you go somewhere else instead of "wasting" money to fly back to Singapore every year, but family will never be a waste, of time and money.

Many of my friends also take my coming home as an opportunity for their yearly gathering, a formal excuse to put down their busies, and come together for a couple of hours. For that, I am truly grateful and honoured for their dedication and friendship.

I am lucky and I know it. To be surrounded by such love ... I am indeed blessed. Coming home to love ...

10 comments:

Jack said...

enjoy your trip... Hong Kong/Taiwan, my home.. last time I was there was 1987...my plan to go back was delayed several times...I was hoping next time I go back, I would be with my bf..but it never happened..so most likely I will have to settle with going back by myself..

Anonymous said...

Hi James, welcome back to singapore... hope your trip back will be a fun and fruitful one :)

Anonymous said...

hey jamez,

looking forward to see ya back in sunny island. =)

let us know the dates soon, so that we can plan for the AGM. ;)

JameZ said...

Hi Jack,

Thank you. I don't think going back by yourself will be such a bad thing because you have achieved so much and if it is a trip of nostalgia, I think it would be more wonderful if you could do whatever you want, instead of having to please someone else as well.

On the other hand, you will never know what you might find there ... a white Canadian man holidaying in HK?

JameZ said...

Hi Jason,

I never knew you were from Singapore. Do I know you from somewhere? I am seriously sorry if I forgot, but Thank you for commenting on my posts. It makes the experience of sharing very much more fun.

I really miss my family and the VAMPires. It is sometimes quite funny to note that I have grown closer to them than many of my other friends whom I have known for some time. It may be because we all share the same love and can unashamedly rant about her non-stop, but more so because I was honest about myself from the start, especially about my sexuality, which opened up for more possibilities.

Thanks for your well wishes, I will have a great time. I know it.

JameZ said...

Hi Kenji chan,

I will be back from the 1st to 19th July, so hope to catch up with you and the others. At least, I know we can celebrate Akina's birthday together!! Yeah!!!

Anonymous said...

hey James!! so happy you'll be popping back for a good couple of weeks! i'll be away in NYC from 1-9th July BUT i'll catch up with you when i'm back!!

we MUST celebrate Akina's bday together, and sing karaoke! and let's go for teppanyaki at Jurong Hill! it's a charming place stuck in the 80s!! very retro! very kinku!! HAHAHA!

see you very soon!! and family, friends, and home will NEVER be a waste of anything!! =)

JameZ said...

Hey Danny,

Thanks! It will be so good to catch up and do all that you mentioned. As long as the teppanyaki does not involve food throwing (bad bad Christmas Dinner experience in a Chinese disguised as Japanese teppanyaki restaurant and their waiting room reeked of urine as well. Enough said!), I'm in for that. Will be good to hear all about the Madge concert as well.

See you soon!

Anonymous said...

Hi James

Yes i am from singapore. No, i do not know you personally but just chanced upon your blog, and really enjoy your writings.

Anyway i have a blog too but i cant share my thoughts there down openly due to many constraints - zeamybro@yahoo.com.sg

JameZ said...

Thank You, Jason ...